Author Topic: Transistor Question  (Read 1968 times)

Offline JarredTopic starter

Transistor Question
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:15:34 am »
Hey Guys,
First post here, I am just getting into electronics on a hobby level and wanted to have a pick at your knowledge if possible, i purchased a Nixie clock kit off ebay and i was a bit confused as to which way to install a transistor, the little icon at the top right hand corner of the transistor i was assuming was pin one? but it has the two pins on that side are bridged together. But on the board the opposite side if installed that way would be bridged out from the tracks. should i just go by instinct and install it so the bridged tracks and bridged pins meet up?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Transistor Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:45:28 am »
That transistor is a MOSFET. It has three terminals, gate, drain and source. In your picture the two joined pins on the left are the drain, then clockwise you have the source and gate pins on the other side. The current flows between the source and drain pins while the gate controls the current flow.

If you look at the circuit board and the schematic you should be able to identify the current path through the transistor and thus insert it with the correct orientation. It is almost certain that if two terminals are bridged on the circuit board then these will be where the drain goes.

Offline JarredTopic starter

Re: Transistor Question
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:47 am »
Awesome, thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf