Author Topic: Ardupilot + 3G/4G  (Read 3315 times)

Offline syonastarlightTopic starter

Ardupilot + 3G/4G
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »
I have been reading on some of the capabilities of the Ardupilot platform, and am really interested in it.  I had an idea though, what would you people think the feasibility is of instead of using standard RC radio equipment to control it, using one of those 3G breakout boards, and maybe streaming live video over 3G.  You'd be able to sit in the comfort of your home on your laptop and roam your entire local city/town over the 3G cellular network (that's assuming you acquire/write software for your PC to control it).

*edit* I just realized, due to the flakiness of cellular data networks, it may not be fast enough for realtime control, but you'd at least might be able to command it to go to certain GPS coordinates and altitudes (easier if it was a helicopter rather than a plane)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:28:25 pm by syonastarlight »

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
Re: Ardupilot + 3G/4G
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:05 pm »
There's an interesting blog post on Adafruit in this topic, particularly the last sentence.

Offline syonastarlightTopic starter

Re: Ardupilot + 3G/4G
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:52:20 pm »
Ah, disappointing.  Killed my idea rather quickly, lol.  Well I suppose you don't want a somewhat smart helicopter to lose control and rampage through town :)

I guess you'd have to join the military to play with a real UAV.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:58:08 pm by syonastarlight »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf