Author Topic: Transistors as an amplifier vs switch questions  (Read 1511 times)

Offline nForceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Transistors as an amplifier vs switch questions
« on: May 17, 2018, 04:29:51 pm »
Hello, I have a few beginners questions:

1) Can we use IGBT also as an amplifier?
2) If I want to use let's say MOSFET as an amplifier and I want a gate voltage to be between 0-5 V and voltage between drain and source 9 V which parameters do I need to look for in the datasheet? I don't really understand datasheets for transistors, there are all sort of graphs which I don't understand.
3) How does differ using a MOSFET as a switch vs as an amplifier?

Maybe more questions to come. Thanks.

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
Re: Transistors as an amplifier vs switch questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:03:07 pm »
1) Yes, with some difficulty, changing one device to another would require trimming of the bias voltage and maybe a large heatsink may be needed.
2) Since gate v determines drain V, you would have to trim gate v to fit each diff device you plug in. Not the greenest choice for an amplifier, but possible. Gate threshold voltage varies from unit to unit, this is what you look at on the spec sheet.
So if  you want the gate V to be 0 to 5 you might find only one small range of gate V works best, and different for each diff device.
3)MOSFETS are excellent switches, poor choices for amplifiers since their turn on is very abrupt(threshold voltage). Distortion can be high, depending on whatcha doin'.

The following users thanked this post: nForce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:51:25 am »
Which types of transistors are the best choice for working as amplifier?

Because MOSFET and IGBT are great for switching.

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:20:00 pm »
Which types of transistors are the best choice for working as amplifier?

Because MOSFET and IGBT are great for switching.

It all depends on how you use them. BJTs and MOSFETs have their weak and strong sides, IGBTs are the most difficult to use in a linear amplifier though there were some audio amps made using them. Over 25 years ago I've designed an audio amplifier output stage using switching (trench) N-channel MOSFETs, tens of thousands were made over these years and many models received excellent reviews (one was awarded Class A Recommended status by Stereophile magazine about 2002). So I personally prefer FETs -  MOSFETs, DFETs, JFETs  ;) .

Cheers

Alex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 05:20:52 pm »
Are these mosfet transistors any good for my application: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2N7000-MOSFET-N-CH-60V-200MA-TO-92-NEW/221893827020?hash=item33a9e719cc:g:q9EAAOSw0HVWAhAA ?

It says it's 60 V. Is this 60 V from emitter to collector or on base? I would like to work with base voltage between 1-5 V. Are these transistor also great to be used as an linear amplifier?

Thanks.

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:21:15 pm »
Are these mosfet transistors any good for my application: https://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2N7000-MOSFET-N-CH-60V-200MA-TO-92-NEW/221893827020?hash=item33a9e719cc:g:q9EAAOSw0HVWAhAA ?

It says it's 60 V. Is this 60 V from emitter to collector or on base? I would like to work with base voltage between 1-5 V. Are these transistor also great to be used as an linear amplifier?

Thanks.

1) 2N7000  is a MOSFET, so it has Drain, Source and Gate. 60V is the maximum voltage between Drain and Source.

2) You can use 2N7000 as a linear small signal amplifier. If you know how to use it correctly, it can do a good job.

Cheers

Alex

P.S. - don't buy 2N7000 on eBay from China, for only a bit more you can get that device from Mouser, Digikey etc.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:23:08 pm by Alex Nikitin »

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:33:01 pm »
A long time ago there was a description of an audio amplifer built with IGBT's in the Elektor magazine.
I think it was in the '90-s. So it can be done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf