Author Topic: Transistors for an Audio Switch  (Read 5121 times)

Offline 5Beans6Topic starter

Transistors for an Audio Switch
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:46:17 pm »
I want to make a custom audio switch box to be able to change between my headphones whenever i want just by the flick of a switch. I was wondering if i could just use regular npn transistors to direct the current from my computer or if i have to use a relay as audio is AC?

Offline fable

• Regular Contributor
Re: Transistors for an Audio Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »
Why not use 4052 or 4053 analog switch ic ?you can find them everywhere

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:34 pm »
Because those are multiplexers, doesn't that mean the signal will be turning on and off rapidly as that is what multiplexing does? This is very undesirable for an audio situation

Offline fable

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:01:42 pm »
No.You control which switches are on by driving select pins high or low...read datasheet.
Sorry for my bad english.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:13 pm »
Oh ok, cool! I was not aware of their existance. Thanks!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:21 pm »
An analogue switch is no good for switching power, i.e. the current flowing through headphones or a speaker. They are only suitable for small signals.

To switch headphones or a speaker, use a relay.

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:43 pm »
don't you have to take the headphones on/off your head? then switching a plug is too hard?

quality switching dynamic headphone directly could require handling up to few 100 mA (Orthodynamic headphones) and blocking few 10s of V

relays are the obvious candiates for mOhm metal-to-metal distortion free switching

for solid state there are opto isolated SS Relays with bidirectional MOSFET switches

bjt transitor bidirectional switching isn't pretty

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:07:49 pm »
don't you have to take the headphones on/off your head? then switching a plug is too hard?

quality switching dynamic headphone directly could require handling up to few 100 mA (Orthodynamic headphones) and blocking few 10s of V

relays are the obvious candiates for mOhm metal-to-metal distortion free switching

for solid state there are opto isolated SS Relays with bidirectional MOSFET switches

An analogue switch is no good for switching power, i.e. the current flowing through headphones or a speaker. They are only suitable for small signals.

So relays it is then?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:30:34 pm »
I want to make a custom audio switch box to be able to change between my headphones whenever i want just by the flick of a switch. I was wondering if i could just use regular npn transistors to direct the current from my computer or if i have to use a relay as audio is AC?

"Change between my headphones" and what?

If you want to be able to switch between speakers and headphones without unplugging the headphones, an easy way is to take an audio plug and 2 audio jacks, and wire them to a manual DPDT switch.  No relay is required.

You could also buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PORT-3-5mm-STEREO-Manual-Sharing-Switch-BOX-Audio-Speaker-selector-way-2-1-/222343690109

As you guessed, bipolar transistors are hard to use as audio switches.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »
Sorry, yes i do mean speakers and headphones. That looks like a viable device, however the quality kinda worry's me.  I was also thinking about including some extra features too that I can only achieve by doing this DIY style due to the way my amplifier is and such.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:20:23 pm »

So relays it is then?
Yes, a relay is your best bet. A small SPDT (Single Pole Double Through) unit will do.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:16 pm »
Yes, a relay is your best bet. A small SPDT (Single Pole Double Through) unit will do.
Stereo?
Why not DPDT?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:45:50 am »
Stereo?
Why not DPDT?
Yes, that would make much more sense.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:50:14 am »
I would argue that a more important question here is whether or not it's a good idea to drive headphones and speakers from the same source. Something built to drive external speakers might be expecting 4-8 ohms, but depending on the headphones, you could be looking at anywhere from 32 or lower to 350 ohm load.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
I would argue that a more important question here is whether or not it's a good idea to drive headphones and speakers from the same source. Something built to drive external speakers might be expecting 4-8 ohms, but depending on the headphones, you could be looking at anywhere from 32 or lower to 350 ohm load.

I think we are talking about powered speakers.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 04:46:30 pm »
Headphones will work fine off the same amplifier designed to drive low power speakers, i.e. under a couple of Watts into 8 Ohm. If it's a much larger amplifier >10W or so, then use an attenuator, consisting of a potential divider (a couple of resistors) to drive the headphones. A common solution is to use bridge outputs to drive the speakers and single ended to the headphone socket.

Online mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 10:57:40 am »
There are analogue switches that are suitable for switching headphone level signals e.g. MAX4762.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 02:25:33 pm »
There are analogue switches that are suitable for switching headphone level signals e.g. MAX4762.
They look good and reasonably priced too.

I wonder how they handle negative signals? Perhaps there's a built-in charge pump to generate negative voltages?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf