Author Topic: Treadmill motor inteference disconnects ADSL modem - suggestions?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline strykerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi guys

Our treadmill is located at the far end of the house and in a room without a phone extension. At speeds above 6km/hr however it increasingly interferes with our ADSL connection to the point that from 9km/hr the modem does not find sync and connection is not restored until the treadmill stops.

I've tried 3 different ADSL2+ modems, with different filter/spitters without there being any noticable difference found between choices.  Running the modem on a UPS that's disconnected from the mains (so purely running on battery) does improve things however, so it appears the noise is in the mains power rather than induced in the phone line.  ADSL while on that battery can still drop, but it's a big improvement, and it tends to be able to reconnect.  My UPS is too small to run the treadmill on, so I've not been able to try that (but am keeping an eye out for something to suit).

From what limited information I've found, treadmills can be a nasty source of electrical interference.  And it would appear I've got a live example.  Is there anything I can do to modify the treadmill to reduce this?  I recently pulled a food processor apart and found a capacitor across the mains - is this something that could help, and if so how do I calculate the right value to reduce the interference that kills ADSL2+?  Or if that's not the answer, what can you suggest I try?

Thanks
Geoff

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Treadmill motor inteference disconnects ADSL modem - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:58:54 am »
Check the brushes they may be on their way out causing more EMI than normal. Then check/replace or fit suppression caps across the mains:
http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

Or all in one package like this one:
http://uk.farnell.com/schurter/5500-2081/filter-pwr-line-10a-0-00025a-1/dp/2353473
Get one suitable for your line voltage and treadmill current.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 11:14:33 am »
If the noise is common-mode, it might be interesting to also add a common mode choke? And you could experiment with the capacitor values - without measurements of the noise itself you can't really say what magic value will work best.

There also exists pre-built mains filters, you could try one of those if you don't want to experiment with mains voltages.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:21:27 am by TheUnnamedNewbie »
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline strykerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:00:33 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
If the noise is common-mode, it might be interesting to also add a common mode choke? And you could experiment with the capacitor values - without measurements of the noise itself you can't really say what magic value will work best.
What would I need to measure the noise, or is there a range that I should focus on that is known to impact ADSL?

Geoff

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 09:51:05 pm »
Once upon a time treadmills were used to generate power, not consume power.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/prisoner4099/historical-background/enlarge-treadmill.htm
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tron9000

• Frequent Contributor
  • Still an Electronics Lab Tech
    • My Hack-a-day project page
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 09:23:11 am »
have you tried moving the tread mill?

I had my xmas tree up last year and the lights on, had an ADSL cable running under the tree and noticed my internet was suffering BIG TIME. Turned tree lights off, issue gone.

Could it be that your treadmill is up against and ADSL line, under the floor boards or in the wall?

Or it could be your ADSL line is in close proximity to a mains line anywhere in the house?

I mean your problem could be solved by literally moving a wire out of the way! :-DD
Partsbox.io - orangise your parts!
"If you're green you can only ripen. If you're ripe you can only rot!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf