Author Topic: Trying to decode SMD chip/module number  (Read 1351 times)

Offline johnkeatesTopic starter

• Contributor
Trying to decode SMD chip/module number
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:40:06 pm »
Hi, I have a picture of a chip or module (seems like a BGA with a space in it for some support components) what is supposed to do 802.11 and possibly Bluetooth as well (it's used in a Samsung phone). While I don't need to buy one, I do wonder how to decode the part number on it:

2749m3
e708b9

A picture is available at: https://stellatech.com/en/samsung-sm-g850f-galaxy-alpha-wifi-ic-wlan-module,a,817641.html/ (it's zoom-able and has another showing the underside)
I know a number of memory chips that have short codes on them because there is no space for the full partnumber and production number because of the small size, so they use short codes that can be expanded to the full number, but for this kind of chip I have no idea where to start. It could be Broadcom, but might as well be any of the other brands (Realtek? Atheros? RaLink?).

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Trying to decode SMD chip/module number
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:01:10 am »
The part numbers had absolutely NO results in Google, so that lead me on an interesting journey --- from finding the schematic for that phone, to determining it's an "SWB-B80" module, which lead to identification of it containing likely a BCM4354, an interesting datasheet for a related but not identical module, and Samsung's own subsidiary which manufacturers these "SWB" modules.

The following users thanked this post: johnkeates

Offline johnkeatesTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Trying to decode SMD chip/module number
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:19:54 pm »
The part numbers had absolutely NO results in Google, so that lead me on an interesting journey --- from finding the schematic for that phone, to determining it's an "SWB-B80" module, which lead to identification of it containing likely a BCM4354, an interesting datasheet for a related but not identical module, and Samsung's own subsidiary which manufacturers these "SWB" modules.

That is one interesting rabbit hole! Thanks. I didn't think about actually trying to get the schematics for that specific phone, but that would have been the way to go of course.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf