Author Topic: Trying to fix my monitor  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Cyborg666Topic starter

Trying to fix my monitor
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:53:06 am »
Hi there!

I'm quite new to electronics, and Dave's video inspired me to try to fix my old LCD monitor.

I've tried a few things but now I'm stuck, so I figured I'll ask here :)
It has an external power supply, and it seems to function. I measure the voltage it says to give out, and no caps looks damaged in it.
When I plug it in to the monitor the backlight (fluorescent tubes) only lights up for about 1/3 of a second accompanied with a fizzing sound. Then it goes black.
I can't see any physical damage to the tubes or any blown caps.

Any ideas what might be wrong, or how I should go about finding out?

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
Re: Trying to fix my monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:28 am »
Does it work off an external DC Supply? I notice a DC socket. Do you have a power supply with V and I adjustments?
IF so, unplug the LCD / Back-light etc and see what the Power section draws - then plug in each "module" and recheck.
Somehow, you need to isolate where the problem is - which MAY be a shorted component. Start with that.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:03:10 pm »
Yes, it uses an external DC supply. Unfortunately I don't have a power supply, only a multimeter. Should I try to hook it up to measure the current?

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:40 pm »
Oh and btw, I've unplugged the LCD screen and the button panel, with no difference.
When I unplug the last board you see to the right of the photo, I don't get anything happening with the tubes...

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:25:41 pm »
The most important thing to do is to decide if the failure is in the external power supply or in the monitor itself.  Can your multimeter monitor the external power supply voltage while you try to turn on the monitor?  Does it dip substantially when you do that?  If so, it might be bad... Monitoring the current might work even better, if you can see the maximum current draw (but inrush current might not be what you are after).

The board to the left in your picture seems to be the inverters for the backlights.  I suggest that you take any numbers off of that board and search ebay for a replacement board.  You could also search the web looking for a schematic, but I personally would doubt my ability to find the problem without other test equipment (e.g. an oscilloscope).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:10:30 pm by dfmischler »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:55:35 pm »
Yes, you definitely need to see the current. maybe you'll see a huge current surge, then a current limiter kick in, and see it drop.
There's 4 HV switchers in the pic. Look for a "feed" component and maybe disable each one in turn - connect the rest of the circuit.
Maybe one of those is shorted.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15:08 pm »
Probably a short somewhere in the inverter transformer windings. measure the primary and secondaries of the inverter transformers and compare them, one may be very low resistance compared to the others.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:47:33 pm »
I am an old TV tech that worked for Curtis mathis years ago. Never got into the LCD area.  I let the other tech's handle the new fangled stuff.  Then a few months ago I saw Daves video on fixing these buggers.
Thought to myself thats neat!. But I always run into murphy!
Like yesterday a friend brought in a Samsung 943n. Turned it on and it shows my desktop for about 1 second. then goes black while the power light stays lit.  Ripped all the caps off and replaced to find same issue.
So figure it is probably the inverter. So will save it for parts.

Good luck on fixing yours Cyborg.

Offline jaycee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:39:20 pm »
The ends of some of those tubes would suggest that the tubes have reached their end of life. Backlight circuits often have a circuit that will shut down the inverter if one or more of the tubes fails to strike.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf