Author Topic: TV Died, Am I capable of fixing it?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline AmblydoperTopic starter

TV Died, Am I capable of fixing it?
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:06:59 am »
I have an older LG TV that has served me well, but it died today after 2 days of operating in the hot weather.  Cooler now, its still dead, so it must not just be the heat.

The Back light works fine, displaying a nice life-less dark grey.  The thing tuns on and off from the remote, although these steps take 3 times as long as normal.  Just before it failed, the display occaisionally cycled to 50% grey, for a second, then back to a normal picture for 10-15 seconds, before it flashed/cycled again to grey.  So I think the display is perfectly fine too.

Knowing just a little about electronics from the EEVblog videos, I'd bet dollars to donuts that there are some blown caps in there, and that replacing them will bring my TV back.  But I've never touched a soldering iron and I don't own a meter.  Am I foolish to attempt a repair on this?  Is this something I can do, or will I fry myself?  I don't care if I fry the TV, I'd just rather NOT replace it if I don't have to.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: TV Died, Am I capable of fixing it?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:00:19 am »
I'm not completely sure, but I think Dave may have made a video once of him repairing an LCD with some caps.

Bad caps or blown MOSFETs are what ends up being the problem on a lot of LCD screens.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline ttp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:13:08 am »
Some electrolytic caps can give you a nasty bite, make sure you short them before you touch them.

Offline ptricks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:23 am »
If you have never used a soldering iron it might be an expensive way to learn. If you are just going to discard the TV then give it a try, nothing to lose.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:00:45 am »
Post the model number and good pictures of the boards inside, we might be able to tell you what to check. As you mention a backlight I assume this is an LCD, which is going to be a little better for the beginner as the only high voltages are in the inverters/CCFLs/PSU unlike a plasma.

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 01:09:38 pm »
If you are interested in electronics and want to learn its worth investing in the basic tools (Soldering station and meter) and giving it a try. If your not going to pursue electronics as a hobby then you are probably better off spending your money on a new TV.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf