Author Topic: Two single supplies vs one dual supply  (Read 1742 times)

Offline AwshuaTopic starter

• Contributor
Two single supplies vs one dual supply
« on: January 02, 2017, 06:23:12 pm »
I'm finally thinking about getting some proper power supplies (at least proper within my very limited hobby budget).

I've seen Dave's videos on the Korad supplies (and subsequent fix), and they appear to be a descent supply for the money.

My question is, is there any advantage to getting two KA3005P single supplies as opposed to one KA3305P triple supply, especially given that currently the former would cost about $60-80 more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Two single supplies vs one dual supply
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
It all depends on what you are trying to do. Some people work with lots of power from one voltage source others may be working wityh lower power from multiple voltages. It really depends on the work you plan to do.

Offline MatthewEveritt

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:24:45 pm »
Duel supplies typically have parallel tracking, which means you can draw more current. Obviously you can put two single supplies in parallel to get the same result, but you can't adjust the voltage with the outputs turned on else they'll 'fight'.

Same goes for series operation - it's possible with single supplies, but often duel supplies do it better.

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 08:26:09 pm »
It also depends on how the dual supply is connected internally.
If the outputs are isolated from eachother then tge dual or triple supply is just the same as the singke supply, but all in one box.
If they share a common ground then you are more limited.
Often the dual supplies have a panel switch to easily switch between isolated, parallel and series configuration, which saves wires.

Offline AwshuaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 04:16:26 am »
Thanks. I think the dual supply will meet my needs then. Honestly for anything I've done as of yet anything over 18v and a few hundred milliamps is overkill. It does look like they can be ganged either serial or parallel internally so should the need arise it shouldn't be an issue. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf