Author Topic: Type of transformer  (Read 6134 times)

Offline christosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Type of transformer
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:53:56 pm »
what type of transformer is this?

imgur

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: Type of transformer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:56:45 pm »
A heavy one?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »
A heavy one?

really??

its a heavy one

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 01:25:24 pm »
My guess (if it's a game) is Pri-120-0-120v / Sec ?-ct-?, foil shield, ?-ct-? and 6.3v heater. Do you have a multimeter? Test for continuity between blu-red-brn side and all wires on the other side and note that. Note conductivity groupings and resistance between wires on both sides. Tell us where you got it from, etc.. and if there's any power headers on what appears to be the secondary side. Then we'll be better equipped to answer.. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 02:34:34 pm »
My guess (if it's a game) is Pri-120-0-120v / Sec ?-ct-?, foil shield, ?-ct-? and 6.3v heater. Do you have a multimeter? Test for continuity between blu-red-brn side and all wires on the other side and note that. Note conductivity groupings and resistance between wires on both sides. Tell us where you got it from, etc.. and if there's any power headers on what appears to be the secondary side. Then we'll be better equipped to answer..
my bro got it for me,,so i dont know where he got it from,,the three blue,yellow,black wires got power headers on ,,the other side got two  pin connector ..no multimeter right now

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:38 am »
Cristos, if you have no multi-meter, I cannot recommend connecting this to the mains (in your area 220v). Put it aside until you are more properly equipped to deal with large transformers. (edit: your profile says you have a "kathley model 2000" - I don't know what happened to it, but since it's more expensive than my oscilloscope, I would like to be the owner of a 6.5 digit DMM too..)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:07:38 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 01:02:44 pm »
A mains transformer with a laminated core (obviously).

Primary will be the usual deal (0-115-230).
Secondaries look what you'd expect in a A/V receiver or similar devices. I'd expect 2 windings, low power, 12-15 V each. black-orange-black is probably a center tapped high power winding with 2x 20...40 V. And another winding, medium power, for digital supplies with maybe 6 V or so.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:15:43 pm »
Primary will be the usual deal (0-115-230).

I'm not so sure, the blue-red-black side wires are thicker than the wires on the other side. You can even see that the blank copper wires are thicker also on that side.
So I would not assume lightly that the 3 wire side is primary.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:17:30 pm by PA0PBZ »
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:02 pm »
In consumer audio gear, which is usually class II, the primary wires of the transformers are doubly insulated and thus thicker than they seem. I can't really see the presumed high power windings wires on the secondary, so I can't really judge that.

OP has to test it anyway to be sure.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »
Class II often has a double bobbin (this spool is wound-over) and some form of thermal cutout, which we can't see. With all respect to our OP, get a meter or get it tested. My friend at CSA tells me a Class II transformer can have a secondary short and the overheat will not cause a subsequent fire.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:06:19 am »
A heavy one?

really??

its a heavy one

Now you've seen the level of guesswork and speculation required to give you a handwavingly inaccurate answer you'll note my original answer is probably the most accurate out of all in the thread.
Your question was a bit like asking "what kind of car is this" while showing a picture of a shift knob. You'll get loads of speculative answers and absolutely nothing useful until you supply more information.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 02:39:03 am »
A heavy one?

really??

its a heavy one

<snip>you'll note my original answer is probably the most accurate out of all in the thread.</snip>

define heavy :popcorn:

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 02:50:27 am »
OK, you get a brownie. But handwavingly? Now that's heavy. At least I gave a fart enough to ask for more info and test results.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 03:14:19 am »
define heavy :popcorn:

Weighs more than a duck .

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 03:56:30 am »
Mystery transformer....

I'd suggest get resistance readings of the primary and secondary sides... and figure out how it's wired based on resistance readings you got.
For ex: on secondary, are the windings tied to one another? multitaps? or are they independent pair of windings?

Maybe feed it a small AC voltage, say 10Volts AC, and try to measure AC voltages on the secondaries and see if you can get the RATIO = Vin/Vout.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 10:37:43 am »
You can test a transformer with a lamp in series like a 100W bulb.  A transformer is a transformer till the core magnetically saturates.  Then it becomes just a resistor.  Haven't done it in a while but a good 120V transformer saturates at about 150V.  A friend has a commercial HVAC business and I salvage transformers from old units.  These generally are 24V with 120, 208, 240 and 480 taps. You can connect 120V to a higher voltage tap to get a lower output voltage at a reduced power or use it as a buck.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 02:45:43 pm »
don't have any multimeter cuz I'm in my bro's town,,,maybe it's a 3 phase transformer?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 03:19:27 pm »
99% it's not but post a photo of both sides.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 03:40:24 pm »
don't have any multimeter cuz I'm in my bro's town,,,maybe it's a 3 phase transformer?

A three phase transformer can't be done on a single core leg.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 03:47:14 pm »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 06:54:52 pm »
Metric duck , or imperial?

Got to be metric, otherwise he'd be in the US and pissing off the rest of the world.

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 10:13:29 pm »
My best guess is that the transformer is from one of the following pieces of equipment:
1)  Selectable Output power supply component for powering various devices, i.e. battery charger/laptop/radio/router etc circuits.
2) Vacuum Tube tester power transformer to set various filament/heater voltages.
3) The popular TortureMatic interrogation instrument supplied with insertable probes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:37:36 pm by Paul Price »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 01:55:21 am »
Weighs more than a duck .

Metric duck , or imperial?

Actually, I believe in a fortuitous case of coincidence an ISO standard Duck weighs the same in both Metric and Imperial. This is most likely because the weight of a standard duck was based on a standard Witch, and the standard Witch pre-dates the ISO.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 04:23:35 am »
Actually, I believe in a fortuitous case of coincidence an ISO standard Duck weighs the same in both Metric and Imperial. This is most likely because the weight of a standard duck was based on a standard Witch, and the standard Witch pre-dates the ISO.

Which witch?  :popcorn:

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 09:35:34 am »

Which witch?  :popcorn:

Specifically "Madame Olympia", however pretty much any of the 20 odd witches convicted at the Salem trials would be close enough for the measuring technology available at the time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf