Author Topic: Unable to write to eeprom at28c256 HELP PLEASE  (Read 2033 times)

Offline NovacicTopic starter

Unable to write to eeprom at28c256 HELP PLEASE
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:43:37 pm »
I am trying to write atmel at28c256 on breadboard so I tied all address lines to ground, and all I/O lines also tied to ground. I untie I/O lines for reading, tie 'WE to high, 'CE to low, and 'OE to low for reading. I am reading all ones at I/O ports, no matter what address. So, when I try to write this eeprom I put 'OE high and with 'WE line I touch to ground so that should write stuff to memory but it does not, all I/O ports were connected. I also made small RC circuit with button on WE but that also does not work. Any toughts?

Offline slambo511

Re: Unable to write to eeprom at28c256 HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:03:16 am »
Hi,

I am no expert myself but am in a similar position, I found this video

very helpful - he uses the 16k version not the 256k one you have but they should have the same pin out. Hope it helps.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:04:57 pm »
-OE must be high, and -CE and -WE must be low to start a write cycle.  The falling edge of -CE or -WE latches the address and the rising edge of -CE or -WE latches the data and starts the write cycle.  -CE or -WR must be low for at least 100 nanoseconds.

Offline jfigge

• Contributor
  • Learning is easy - understanding is hard
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 04:26:41 pm »
I know this is old, but wanted to post a response incase someone, much like myself, stumbles across this post while looking for answers...

It seems some 28C256 EEPROM chips are being shipped with SDP (Software Data Protection) enabled.  Technically Atmel doesn't ship the chip in this state, so it does make me wonder if my branded chip is a clone  :-\

Anyway, when I wrote the code to program the chip via a Nano I found I wasn't able to write to the chip, nor issue the required commands to unlock it.  I 'believe' the problem was because the code I original wrote ran WAY too slowly to be able to send the unlock commands within a single page (bytes must arrive within 150us to keep the page going).  Once I figured this out I re-wrote the code to use port manipulation and we able to remove SDP and update the EEPROM.

Here's my code: https://github.com/jfigge/arduino-28c256-programmer

Good luck, and this comes with no warrantees (but is free to use and abuse :) )

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 04:33:09 pm »
so it does make me wonder if my branded chip is a clone  :-\
Recycled e-waste, and likely relabeled. Just date code and/or speed grade changed or even chip from another manufacturer relabeled.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf