Author Topic: UNI-T UT139C - Where to Buy?  (Read 7868 times)

Offline UnadanTopic starter

• Contributor
UNI-T UT139C - Where to Buy?
« on: June 30, 2017, 03:49:52 pm »
I'm new to the forum and am looking to get my first decent digital multimeter for household use.  I've read some posts on this forum and have decided to get a UNI-T UT139C DMM.  Where would you recommend purchasing this DMM from?  Amazon only lists a "2013 model" so I'm unsure if I should get it there or from someone on Ebay?  Which vendor(s) do you recommend?

I've also considered the Amprobe AM-510 model which is only about $41 on Amazon currently.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: UNI-T UT139C - Where to Buy?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:05:08 pm »
I found more.. but 3 year's have past since that review was done, so you may want to check member Joe Smith's YouTube DMM robustness and reviews channel beforehand.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:07:03 pm »
You should state an amount you're willing to spend? anyway, Joe offers these files publicly:
The data for the meters I have tested may be found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cXzYpIoyVm9QJUju4KXqM22CEQZP3_xwWvDyeVwxTy4/edit?usp=sharing
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions may be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gEPFeOZpsNSm0-7sA98w2P5XE5x77Oal9dQEYvQnF6g/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:09:42 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 04:15:50 pm »
I buy nearly all my stuff from Aliexpress, I found it is cheaper than ebay, bangood or DX. I have an UT61E and an UT139C that I bought sellers there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-UT139C-True-RMS-2-6-LCD-Digital-Multimeters-Electrical-Handheld-Tester-Multimetro-LCR-Meter/32507766514.html

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 04:25:37 pm »
There's over a half dozen sellers for that meter on Amazon, at prices from $35 to $45. I've seen it on eBay also. I'd just go with whatever source you feel is most trustworthy and has price and shipping time that fits your needs. Note that some will ship from outside the US, which means you may have to wait a bit longer for it to arrive.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:29:29 pm »
I'm looking to spend $75.00 or less.  I'm really just a home electronics tinkerer and don't need anything too fancy.

You should state an amount you're willing to spend? anyway, Joe offers these files publicly:
The data for the meters I have tested may be found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cXzYpIoyVm9QJUju4KXqM22CEQZP3_xwWvDyeVwxTy4/edit?usp=sharing
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions may be found here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gEPFeOZpsNSm0-7sA98w2P5XE5x77Oal9dQEYvQnF6g/edit?usp=sharing

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:30:19 pm »
How do you like the UT61E?  That model is also on my short list.

I buy nearly all my stuff from Aliexpress, I found it is cheaper than ebay, bangood or DX. I have an UT61E and an UT139C that I bought sellers there.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNI-T-UT139C-True-RMS-2-6-LCD-Digital-Multimeters-Electrical-Handheld-Tester-Multimetro-LCR-Meter/32507766514.html

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:35:10 pm »
ut61e is a better meter,
unfortunatly there are some children that like to probe mains with it set to current, and connect it to a kite during a thunderstorm.
then they say it's shit when it blows up - maybe they should stick within specs instead.
 :-+

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, Unadan

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 07:36:32 pm »
How do you like the UT61E?  That model is also on my short list.
For a beginner's main DMM - not recommended. As STJ as said in a sort of way, it is not a safe meter. Stick with the other safe DMM you were looking at.

Yes, I am one of those sticks in the mud. I want all beginners to be safe, so I will only advise beginners to get safe DMMs.

What the UT61E offers if fantastic resolution and accuracy at a budget price.
The verdict is out on whether it is as accurate as stated.

The following users thanked this post: Unadan

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
FWIW, the UT61E is known to drift as well.

UT61E drift and recalibration

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 10:32:50 am »
I've bought the ut61e mainly because of its serial interface. It has better resolution as well (22000 counts vs 6000 counts of the ut139c) but as a first meter I would recommend the UT139C over the UT61E as it has back-light and temperature probe, features that you may find more useful. Both meters offers mV and uA ranges, useful if you want to work with battery powered circuits, but the UT139C has a slightly better input protections (more relevant if you intend to probe mains power, what I do not recommend) and, more important, it is cheaper.
Regarding the built quality, both are equivalent and fairly well made.
Inevitably, you will find very soon that one multimeter is not enough and you will need a second one (then third...  :-DMM ), then you can start looking for more advanced meters with features tailored for your needs.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 11:11:46 am »
the latest trend in meters is speech announcements!!

maybe if you set it to amps and poke it at the mains it says "you die now!" before it smokes!  :-DD

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 05:26:59 pm »
Well I ended up going with an Amprobe AM-510 instead of the Uni-T.   The Amprobe will be my first decent DMM although I wouldn't mind having a Uni-T 139C or 61E as a backup.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 06:14:31 pm »
you will probably end up with all 3 - nice meters are addictive.

i'll share this link btw - this seller has nice soft cases.  :-+
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GlobalTesterStore/Parts-and-accessories-/_i.html

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 09:32:16 am »
stj is spot-on IMHO.  :-+

For example I've an Agilent/Keysight U1252B, Brymen 857A, Fluke 27/FM, and a Uni-T 139C as my primary meters (and a few DT830's from Harbor Freight).

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 01:38:06 pm »
Now that I have a safe DMM in the Amprobe - I'm still interested in a Uni-T.  Which of the two (139C or 61E) would you consider to be a good secondary unit to the Amprobe 510? 

I've bought the ut61e mainly because of its serial interface. It has better resolution as well (22000 counts vs 6000 counts of the ut139c) but as a first meter I would recommend the UT139C over the UT61E as it has back-light and temperature probe, features that you may find more useful. Both meters offers mV and uA ranges, useful if you want to work with battery powered circuits, but the UT139C has a slightly better input protections (more relevant if you intend to probe mains power, what I do not recommend) and, more important, it is cheaper.
Regarding the built quality, both are equivalent and fairly well made.
Inevitably, you will find very soon that one multimeter is not enough and you will need a second one (then third...  :-DMM ), then you can start looking for more advanced meters with features tailored for your needs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:50:39 pm by Unadan »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 02:31:23 pm »
61e

just look at the spec.
you wouldnt "waste" it just reading mains or buzzing out fuses.
it's an engineers meter.
it even reads frequency's upto 220MHz - the thing that made me want it!
of course, if your not an electronics engineer then maybe it's not for you.

if you work on cars a lot or have a need to read current SAFELY then look at the UT-210e clamp meter.
lots said about it here.

if there is a message in all this, it's probably that no meter is universal and you pick the tool for the job. :)
on that note, if you want something cheap to test fuses and battery's that isnt dangerous harbour-freight/DT junk, look at the ANENG AN8002.
i just ordered one as a cheap "throwaway" backup. :)
https://www.banggood.com/ANENG-AN8002-Digital-Ture-RMS-Multimeter-ACDC-Current-Voltage-Frequency-Resistance-Temp-Tester-p-1145700.html
again, lots said about it here.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 04:59:34 pm »
Thanks!  ANENG just came out with an 8008 model I believe.

61e

just look at the spec.
you wouldnt "waste" it just reading mains or buzzing out fuses.
it's an engineers meter.
it even reads frequency's upto 220MHz - the thing that made me want it!
of course, if your not an electronics engineer then maybe it's not for you.

if you work on cars a lot or have a need to read current SAFELY then look at the UT-210e clamp meter.
lots said about it here.

if there is a message in all this, it's probably that no meter is universal and you pick the tool for the job. :)
on that note, if you want something cheap to test fuses and battery's that isnt dangerous harbour-freight/DT junk, look at the ANENG AN8002.
i just ordered one as a cheap "throwaway" backup. :)
https://www.banggood.com/ANENG-AN8002-Digital-Ture-RMS-Multimeter-ACDC-Current-Voltage-Frequency-Resistance-Temp-Tester-p-1145700.html
again, lots said about it here.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 05:18:33 pm »
Amprobe 510 is a great choice for your first meter. It packs plenty of features and it's fairly solid.

There is a lot to like about the UT61E as well. So I would look into that when you decide to get a second meter. Yes Uni-T skimped on fuses and quality isn't the best in regards to drift, although my copy has barely drifted at all in 3 years. I think it's a very compelling 2nd meter for electronics. I particularly like the fact that it uses very little power, so I might leave it monitoring a project to keep an eye on for hours (it also doesn't have auto shut off, which is nice for this purpose, although my flukes can do this too with a power on setting).

The form factor is great and the screen on it is probably the best I've seen on a DMM.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:20:11 pm by Muxr »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »
Thanks!  ANENG just came out with an 8008 model I believe.

they have many models, but an important thing to know about the meter industry is that higher numbers dont always mean better specs.

8002 for example is better than 8003 or 8004 that are crap in comparison.
8002 can be hacked btw - the configuration is in an eeprom - it uses the same chip as the ut210e and some of the ut139 series.  8)

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »
Amprobe 510 is a great choice for your first meter. It packs plenty of features and it's fairly solid.

There is a lot to like about the UT61E as well. So I would look into that when you decide to get a second meter. Yes Uni-T skimped on fuses and quality isn't the best in regards to drift, although my copy has barely drifted at all in 3 years. I think it's a very compelling 2nd meter for electronics. I particularly like the fact that it uses very little power, so I might leave it monitoring a project to keep an eye on for hours (it also doesn't have auto shut off, which is nice for this purpose, although my flukes can do this too with a power on setting).

The form factor is great and the screen on it is probably the best I've seen on a DMM.

a lot of meters bypass the auto-shutoff if you hold a button while powering them on.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 07:54:18 pm »
a lot of meters bypass the auto-shutoff if you hold a button while powering them on.
AM-510 doesn't have it as far as I can tell.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 09:08:09 pm »
Added the AN8002 as my 6th meter in the fleet. The only reason I bought it was the $15 price.. (well, maybe 6000 counts and a temp-probe too). But my biggest beef is finding it (something about size really does matter).
Seriously, if it were any lighter, it would float away. I have to make something to hold it down and in place, because even though I've had it just two weeks, I estimate it will die early shattered against a wall. This is not a mans meter to be sure!

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 10:32:50 pm »
stop bitching, my first meter was an analog thing the size of a packet of smokes!  it looked a bit like this>> :bullshit:

:)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 01:53:02 am »
stop bitching, my first meter was an analog thing the size of a packet of smokes!  it looked a bit like this>> :bullshit:

:)
:-DD

Same for me. I don't recall the model number, but it came from Radio Shack.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 02:06:23 am »
Guess I shouldn't complain, but I'd have been OK to pay another $2 for a rubber protective holster. I might open it up to install the missing side/rear membrane key for manual ranges. Anyone find out how to get the damn light to stay on longer?

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 04:49:20 am »
yes, edit the eeprom.

it's the same chip as the uni-t ut210e, so look in the thread about it.
here's the memory map btw. :)

if you set the light delay to 0 it stays on till you turn it off - manual control.  8)
you should also push the auto-power off back from the standard 15min's to maybe an hour.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:51:32 am by stj »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf