Author Topic: Unknown Diode - or how to identity tiny components ...  (Read 1092 times)

Offline bitmanTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Open Source Guy jabbing with Electronics
Unknown Diode - or how to identity tiny components ...
« on: February 12, 2018, 01:32:13 am »
 I'm going through a small mess of random components ... I came across this diode (?) which has no markings what so ever, other than the band (orange?) indicating the polarity. What's the proper procedure for figuring out what kind of diode this is? And yes, this is taken with very high magnification - it's a very tiny thing just 1-2mm long. I guess printing doesn't fit on such a small sucker, so does that mean you're out of luck?

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Unknown Diode - or how to identity tiny components ...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:26:50 am »
  The best device for identifying unknown components is a curve tracer IMO.  The shape and nature of the curve will tell you exactly what the component is and will tell you at a glance if it's resistive, inductive or capacitive and if it's non-linear.  I have a Tektronix 575 with the HV option but 99% of the time I use my little B&K 540 since all I'm looking for is the characteristic curve and not the exact values.

The 575s are huge but if you have the room try to pick one up and learn to use it. I paid $25 for mine at a hamfest because no one wanted it due to the size and the owner wanted it GONE. It's actually a hell of a good instrument.

A picture of a Tek 575 from an online auction site.

Offline mixiom

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:58:42 pm »
Maybe a so called "component tester" from ebay for ~8€ can help you. It identifies all sorts of components and displays their cardinal values.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:00:31 am »
Hope this helps.I ran into old ones like this working on a Power Mixing Amp.

The following users thanked this post: bitman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf