Author Topic: unusual capacitor case  (Read 3498 times)

Offline arsonTopic starter

unusual capacitor case
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:09:47 am »
Please help on this capacitor. This cap is installed in a 30 year old amplifier with russian writings.
For 2000uf the value using a decent meter is 2600uf, is it a good cap?
Also help me on the casing maybe it is still available see attached picture

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: unusual capacitor case
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:57:26 am »
This is a very typical electrolytic capacitor from x-USSR. I believe the case is not standard outside of USSR.

That black rhombus you can see on the case is a good sign - this part at some point was deemed to be good for use in military equipment, so it might still hold its properties.

Check that yellow (white originally) rubbery insulator is still rubbery. And if it is, I'd leave this capacitor alone, if you don't have a good reason to suspect it is faulty.
Alex

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:19:30 am »
Thanks for replying. Its still rubbery and this rubber insulates the pin terminal from the case. Actually 1 of these already leaked its oil but capacitance is below its rating. The one on the picture has high capacitance than its body rating. I think i will just changed all caps. 

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:21:46 am »
I think i will just changed all caps. 
It would be better if you don't care about preserving its "historical value". You can probably use old casings to hold new caps to keep some of the old appearance.
Alex

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:03:34 am »
screw-in capacitors. you gotta give it to the russians. they are an inventive bunch ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:51 am »
screw-in capacitors. you gotta give it to the russians. they are an inventive bunch ...
They are not really screw-in. They come with a nut from thin stamped sheet metal. As far as I know it is not possible to mount it without the nut (according to the standard).

Here is how they look with a nut.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:11:21 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:26:36 am »
This is a very typical electrolytic capacitor from x-USSR. I believe the case is not standard outside of USSR.

I can honestly say I've never seen one of those before.

Interesting idea.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 06:30:18 am »
Interesting idea.
They were great for the electronics at that time. Imagine old stuff with metal chassis. Those caps were super easy to mount on that chassis, all you need to do is drill (or stamp) a hole.

And if you wanted a standalone capacitor, then there was a lug in the package along with the nut. So you can screw that lug and you have a normal two-pin capacitor :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:33:00 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline Zarhi

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 06:38:31 am »
Please help on this capacitor. This cap is installed in a 30 year old amplifier with russian writings.
For 2000uf the value using a decent meter is 2600uf, is it a good cap?
Also help me on the casing maybe it is still available see attached picture

This capacitor is 300V 10uF.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 01:31:41 pm »
They are not really screw-in. They come with a nut from thin stamped sheet metal. As far as I know it is not possible to mount it without the nut (according to the standard).

Here is how they look with a nut.

yup its the same. i am planning to use axial caps with negative body. maybe make a pcb to mount it in the chassis firmly.
i agree with you, russian engineering is very good. thanks man you know many things about this. what you have said is all correct. chassis is ground (0v) but capacitor body is negative. within the nut there is an insulator and the contact through the body is by a ring. tomorrow i will be working on it again  :box:

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 04:35:16 am »

That black rhombus you can see on the case is a good sign - this part at some point was deemed to be good for use in military equipment, so it might still hold its properties.

Check that yellow (white originally) rubbery insulator is still rubbery. And if it is, I'd leave this capacitor alone, if you don't have a good reason to suspect it is faulty.

That kind of packaging was used in some 1930s radios from Australia & the UK,& still turned up in some 1950s  Western European Broadcast & industrial stuff.

It seems that the USSR kept the idea after it died out elsewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf