Author Topic: USB cable power testing  (Read 2261 times)

Offline thefamilymanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
USB cable power testing
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:41:31 am »
Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

This is my first post after many years watching Dave on YouTube.
Please be nice to me  ^-^

I don't know how many of you get annoyed at shitty micro USB cables that don't allow your device to charge at high amperage because of their voltage drop, but it annoys me.

With inspiration from mjlorton, I've decided to start testing the voltage drop from many cables; brand name factory cables, popular expensive ones and inexpensive ones, to really see how they perform under load.

Over the next month or so (dependent on shipping times) i will be purchasing as many nice looking and spec'd cables i can find and run them past my crude but kinda effective testing setup.

My setup will consist of the following:
YZXstudio USB power monitor with voltage sense tap-off
A DC electronic load
Power supply with voltage sense to allow accurate 5V input with minimal loss
Multimeter to measure the voltage at the micro USB end.

I'll be measuring Voltage input from the calibrated ZXYstudio power monitor and the voltage output with my multimeter.
With these simple measurements along with several different current loads i can calculate the voltage drop and power loss along the cable itself with minimal and controlled external factors.
with these calculations i then can devise a standardised performance rating, something like power loss per metre as all cables would end up being varying lengths and a price/performance index.

included are some photos from my rather crude test setup that i used to test consistency. As you can see the micro USB socket at the end needs to be implemented in a better way, any suggestions? 

I'm open to all suggestions, constructive criticism and ideas, also please let me know some cables you would like me to test too.

Patrick

Offline jaromir

• Supporter
Re: USB cable power testing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:29:30 am »
You can short out the device end of cable, set power supply to 1A CC mode and read out the voltage from the supply itself, if is accurate enough (or use DMM). The voltage in Volts will be equal to resistance in Ohms, for both conductors in series.

It has downside - it will be much simpler and easier, the setup will not looks as appealing, as the amount of needed laboratory equipment will decrease, not sure if it will not be a problem.

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
Re: USB cable power testing
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:25:42 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf