Author Topic: USB power supply sparks USB shield/ground to mains earth via y-cap  (Read 1811 times)

Offline megaoetzwuchstTopic starter

Hello all!
I found that two of my power supplies (the above Anker PowerPort +1) and another Anker 24W dual-port emitted sparks when I touched grounded equipment with the micro USB plug outside shield (at the position that the shield would touch the grounded item). I measured the voltage from USB (-shield/ground) to mains earth with an oscilloscope - which showed about mains AC voltage - although I could not really draw any significant current.

I was quite surprised as these are generally high quality supplies - but other power adapters I have do not have the same issue.

Finally I got round to disassembling one of these power supplies (the PowerPort +1), and find that when I remove the capacitor that bridges the primary rectified (-) side to secondary (5V USB -) , the sparking does not occur anymore. When testing the capacitor (see attachment) It shows a capacity of ~900pf - would that be within reason?. It measures resistance > 20MOhm so seems intact.

What other reasons could there be for the sparking / the capacitor conducting so much HF current? Is this expected or could it be that both of my USB devices are faulty? If so - what would be a reasonable capacitor to get (I probably won't use this one again anyway as they don't go apart easily).

Thanks for any input - would be interesting to get to the cause of this!
Best, moewu

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: USB power supply sparks USB shield/ground to mains earth via y-cap
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:33:12 am »
It's doing what it's supposed to...

It's legal as long as the AC mains current (through the capacitor) is under 3.5mA or so (depending on standard followed).

If you don't want sparking, find a grounded one (and don't complain that it costs more!).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: megaoetzwuchst

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:26:14 am »
Ah yes thanks a lot!  :)
I was thinking this would be somehow in the design - I guess they use a larger cap than other makes. Makes a lot more sense now!
I was actually quite happy having a floating power supply for measuring ... I guess I could use a non-switching supply - there must be other floating options that don't have the issue?

Best,
Daniel

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:04:07 am »
You've just removed the Y-capacitor. It's there to prevent high frequency switching noise from the switchmode converter on the secundary side, and prevent fast dv/dt on the transformer.
By removing it you now have high frequency noise on the secondary side, instead of 50 Hz hum.

Please put it back.

If you do not like the <1mA leakage current, ground the appliance.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:53:13 am »
It's doing what it's supposed to...

It's legal as long as the AC mains current (through the capacitor) is under 3.5mA or so (depending on standard followed).

If you don't want sparking, find a grounded one (and don't complain that it costs more!).

Tim
UL60950 is the relevant standard and 3.5mA is the allowed earth leakage for grounded equipment... not the touch current for exposed parts, which is limited to 250uA maximum.

3.5mA is going to be painful for most people, and even deadly in the right circumstances. bigclivedotcom has a video where he deliberately takes 1mA through a finger and even for him it's not pleasant at all.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:57:44 am »

Please put it back.

No worries I was not planning to operate it without the cap ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:02:41 pm by megaoetzwuchst »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:15 am »
It can get worse if you have many of these appliances on a 3-prong power bar that isn't on a grounded socket.
Unfortunately this is possible in europe.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf