Author Topic: USB sniffer  (Read 1459 times)

Offline JaneTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
USB sniffer
« on: July 31, 2015, 10:29:14 am »
Can anyone  recommend a good USB and I2C sniffer?
I have USB - I2C bridge ( developement board) and would like to check the data both on USB side and I2C side.
Or how do YOU check the data on USB  that a program sends to?

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
Re: USB sniffer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:58:22 pm »
Hardware USB sniffers tend to be very expensive, I have, in the past, used a virtual machine (vmware) and got it to log the USB traffic. But either way, you will end up with lots of data that will take quite a while to process (USB is really quite complicated).

Just capturing the I2C is probably going to be easier - I haven't come across many I2C sniffers, as for most uses a logic analyser (or digital oscilloscope) is more than adequate. The only advantage of a sniffer would be collecting data over a longer period. As far as recommending logic analysers, it really depends on your needs - the open bench logic sniffer is really cheap, but has only a short memory, many people like the Saleae products for a low cost logic analyser, but they aren't cheap by any means. If you give more information on your needs, it might be easier for people to make recommendations.

Offline Matje

• Regular Contributor
Re: USB sniffer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:34:54 pm »
Can anyone  recommend a good USB and I2C sniffer?
I have USB - I2C bridge ( developement board) and would like to check the data both on USB side and I2C side.
Or how do YOU check the data on USB  that a program sends to?

Ethereal/Wireshark running on Linux can capture and show USB data, provided the "usbmon" kernel module is loaded.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf