Author Topic: using 35 output MM5451 LED driver to build an LFSR noise generator?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline dentakuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I've been simulating different Linear Feedback Shift Registers to create pseudo-random noise like they used in the old ETI Vocoder. I don't have a 4006 like ETI used but I've been messing with using two 74HC164 shift registers and an XOR for now.
It all seems to work and creates noise if I clock it fast enough but I found that I have an old MM5451N LED driver which is a giant 35 output shift register but being a driver it sinks current unlike a 74164 or 74595 etc.

Here's the datasheet.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/268/mm5450-778453.pdf
The outputs will be connected to the inputs of an XOR so I need them at a known state at all times and hopefully 0V and 5V.

From what I can see this chip doesn't look like it just has simple open collector/drain outputs (which I'm assuming would just need pull-up resistors to do what I want) so I'm not sure how I could use them for anything other than driving LEDs and mis-use it for inputting data into an XOR.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: using 35 output MM5451 LED driver to build an LFSR noise generator?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:30:41 am »
No chance.  It uses a leading '1' start bit and only updates its output once every 36 clock pulses. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:16:51 am »
A number of classic arcade games use a LFSR made of a pair of 74LS164s and a few gates. Here is the one used to make the ship thrust sound in Asteroids. The output of this is passed through a simple low pass filter. Galaxian uses a nearly identical circuit to generate the scrolling starfield background.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 03:23:34 pm »
No chance.  It uses a leading '1' start bit and only updates its output once every 36 clock pulses.

Oh yeah, I was wondering about that leading one while reading the datasheet then forgot about it while trying to figure out what the outputs looked like.
I remember testing it out with an Arduino quite a while ago and obviously the code I used took that into consideration.
Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:29:22 pm by dentaku »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:28:08 pm »
A number of classic arcade games use a LFSR made of a pair of 74LS164s and a few gates. Here is the one used to make the ship thrust sound in Asteroids. The output of this is passed through a simple low pass filter. Galaxian uses a nearly identical circuit to generate the scrolling starfield background.

Nice. That's the kind of stuff from that past that I find interesting. :-+
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:29:53 pm by dentaku »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:31:16 am »
I just built the circuit I attached to my first post and it sounds so much like the old Atari Games from when I was young, especially when I turn up and down the clock frequency :)
The old game Dragster and Haunted House sounded just like this.
At high enough speeds I can tell where it repeats.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf