Author Topic: Using an LM2596 as a gate driver?  (Read 2564 times)

Boltar

Using an LM2596 as a gate driver?
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:01:57 pm »
Would it be possible to use the output (pin 2) of an LM2596(S) through a dual latching, inverting/non-inverting gate driver IC to the gates of much more powerful FETs then put the standard diode/inductor/cap on the output of those fets with feedback from the output of this stage back to the LM2596 through the standard voltage divider? If so it seems a much simpler way to achieve high power output than some of the PWM controllers I've looked at. The LM2596 is very very simple and cheap as well compared to most PWM ICs which are very expensive and complicated.
Would this be feasible or not, I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious.

Offline planet12

• Regular Contributor
Re: Using an LM2596 as a gate driver?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:01:37 am »
You can't really do it with this chip; the main switch is built-in, as is the current sense resistor. Trying to put an external switch on it, while "possible", is not going to work well at all - the current mode control loop will not function properly, and this will then break the built-in control loop compensation, likely leading to oscillation.

By the time you finish mucking about with this and deciding it's not going to work acceptably well, you could have paid for and learned to use a modern SMPS controller with built-in gate drivers.

Another option that you may want to consider - if your requirements are not too tight but your budget is - is to use a hysteretic controller such as the MC34063, which can be set up with an external switch, and get away with it due to the control loop technology in use.

Boltar

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:15:00 pm »
Thanks, I'll investigate both options you mentioned.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:05:44 pm »
Based on the LM2596 datasheet, it does not appear to be a current mode controller.  Peak switch current is only monitored to implement a lower oscillator frequency at high currents and for cycle by cycle current limiting.  The output current is never compared to the oscillator ramp.

As far as your question Boltar, I think you could do this but I suspect there are better alternatives depending on what switching regulator type you are implementing.  A boost regulator for instance can be used to drive a flyback transformer through a high voltage transistor cascode and keep all of its switch protection features like current limiting intact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf