Author Topic: Using Zener Diode for Voltage reference  (Read 3201 times)

Offline praveen_khmTopic starter

• Contributor
Using Zener Diode for Voltage reference
« on: March 31, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »
Hi,

I have two Lithium Ion batteries which outputs 7.4v. I need some way to make sure the battery is completely charged. Would the setup in the image work? I mean, can I use a Zener Diode in reverse to check if LED turns on when battery is fully charged at 8.2v? When I flip the switch, it starts charging. When flipped, the zener diode turns on LED if it crosses breakdown voltage. Kindly suggest.

Thanks,
Praveen

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: Using Zener Diode for Voltage reference
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 04:12:32 pm »
Nope.
The LED will drop volts across it so there is not enough volt from the LiIon batteries to provide 9.4V (8.4 + 1.2) to turn on the zener and overcome the LED turn on voltage.
Why you you think there will be 1A going through 1K resistor? Ohms law!

The following users thanked this post: praveen_khm

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 05:00:59 pm »
Yes the LED's forward voltage adds to the zener's breakdown voltage.

The voltage across the 1k resistor, will need to be 1500V for 1.5A to flow and the power dissipated will be 2250W.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 03:33:44 am »
Thanks. I was assuming it's simpler to check if battery is charged or not, but seems no. I rather use a 2$ LED voltmeter I guess.

The 1.5A is a load along with the resistor which includes motors and other circuitry. To keep it simple, I mentioned load.

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 05:30:56 am »
Thanks. I was assuming it's simpler to check if battery is charged or not, but seems no. I rather use a 2$ LED voltmeter I guess.

The 1.5A is a load along with the resistor which includes motors and other circuitry. To keep it simple, I mentioned load.

you might have a look at the tl431 datasheet and modify the "voltage monitor" circuit to suit your needs

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 07:08:41 am »
If you put an LM393 comparator in the loop with a trimmable voltage reference, maybe a dedicated IC reference, then calibrate it with your meter, it might work, but you need to power the comparator, presumably off the battery.

Also, 2 lithium batteries are not fully charged at 7.4V, they are fully charged at 8.4V or 8.2V in older specs.

This might give you some ideas on detecting fully-charged-ness.  Though it ends up doing something slightly different.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:39:58 am »
So your putting the LED in series with the load ? The led can only take 20mA, that will be one smoking LED....... briefly, then a chared mess. You want your voltage test circuit in parallel with the load don't make the load part of the test circuit.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:18 am »

you might have a look at the tl431 datasheet and modify the "voltage monitor" circuit to suit your needs

http://www.reuk.co.uk/wordpress/storage/tl431-battery-voltage-monitor/

For 8.4V:
R1 = 12k
R2 = 5k1
R4 = 1k
R3 = 680R

I used the calculator, linked below, with V1 = 8.4V, the trip voltage and V2 = 2.495V, the TL431's reference voltage.
http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/rercal.php
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:51:13 am by Hero999 »

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 11:07:16 pm »
Go to www.batteryuniversity and learn about lithium ion batteries. They might not be fully charged when the voltage of 2 series cells are 8.4V because when their charging and charged voltage reaches 8.4V then they might be only 70% fully charged. The charging is supposed to be stopped when the charging current drops to a low current and that is a full charge.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 09:40:41 am »

http://www.reuk.co.uk/wordpress/storage/tl431-battery-voltage-monitor/

For 8.4V:
R1 = 12k
R2 = 5k1
R4 = 1k
R3 = 680R

I used the calculator, linked below, with V1 = 8.4V, the trip voltage and V2 = 2.495V, the TL431's reference voltage.
http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/rercal.php

Thanks for the circuit. I will look into this as it seems a feasible solution. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf