Author Topic: Value of matching and very tight spec 1% 1/4 W resistors  (Read 2158 times)

Offline SharpEarsTopic starter

• Supporter
Value of matching and very tight spec 1% 1/4 W resistors
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:01:21 pm »
I have three 1% metal film 100 ohm resistors that measure dang near exactly 100 ohms on a pretty well calibrated 6.5 digit meter (i.e., 100.000 ohms), with a little lead trimming of each to well within what is needed for it to be mounted on a circuit board. So, aside from the fact that the threesome measure 100 ohms, they're a matching triplet. What is the value of a set like this above and beyond the usual 1% metal film resistor cost of something like ten US cents each?

I am just wondering if they're valuable or not?

Update: I've also got a pair of 180 ohm and a pair of 5.6 MOhm, that are spot on.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:05:44 pm by SharpEars »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Value of matching and very tight spec 1% 1/4 W resistors
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:05:15 pm »
as they are probably from the same manufacturing batch it is no surprise. At room temperature it's not unusual that they be "perfect", can you guarantee the resistance over time and at all temperature ranges ? just because they are 1% does not mean they are expected to measure +/-1% that often at room temperature when brand new.

Offline SharpEarsTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:10:30 pm »
as they are probably from the same manufacturing batch it is no surprise. At room temperature it's not unusual that they be "perfect", can you guarantee the resistance over time and at all temperature ranges ? just because they are 1% does not mean they are expected to measure +/-1% that often at room temperature when brand new.

Interesting, so these were measured at room temperature (i.e., 70 degrees F = 21 degrees C) and they are a couple of weeks old. So, there is possible drift over time and possible drift over temperature in-line with that of metal film resistors. So, I suppose that is all that can be guaranteed. I am wondering what the premium on these resistors is within those constraints.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:07:54 pm »
They're probably worth no more than any 1/4 1% resistor which isn't much: under a cent each in quantities of 1000, from a typical distributor.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:34:44 pm »
Just because you have found them to match under certain limited non repeatable circumstances does not mean they will be as matched in the future and adds no value to them unless your a qualified test house that can carry out proper testing. I'm sure that if there are trully so good the manufacturer would have already sold them as less than 1% tolerance.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:55 am »
drift over time, drift with temperature and drift after "burn-in" is guaranteed ;) those resistors got no special value, it's pretty common to find "spot on" resistors within a bunch of 1% ones.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf