Author Topic: Variac used as step down xformer?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline fourierpwnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Variac used as step down xformer?
« on: January 23, 2016, 03:42:43 am »
Hi all,

I am wanting to power a piece of Japanese equipment, which runs on 100Vac. I am in Australia where we use 240Vac. The only thing I have that can supply 100Vac is a variac (this one here: http://www.svtechparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img_1199.jpg)

Is it safe to use a variac as a step down transformer?

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
Re: Variac used as step down xformer?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:13:19 am »
"Is it safe" is a loaded question. If I say "sure, go ahead" and then someone comes along and turns the knob up to 240..... will you blame me for blowing out your Japanese electronic device?

On the other hand... sure, go ahead. A Variac is a variable stepdown (auto)transformer, that's what it is for, generally speaking.

But don't blame me if someone accidentally turns the knob and blows out your Japanese device. I also wouldn't trust the analog meter on the Variac to be completely accurate.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline fourierpwnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:35:30 am »
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you mean.

I thought a quick check with a multimeter to ensure it is actually at 100Vac would be wise.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:42:36 am »
"Is it safe" is a loaded question. If I say "sure, go ahead" and then someone comes along and turns the knob up to 240..... will you blame me for blowing out your Japanese electronic device?

Easy fix, remove the knob.  :-DD

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:14:07 am »
Theoretically, its not safe because you are connecting a device with insulation designed for 100V RMS to a 240V RMS circuit, and if anything fails on the neutral side of the circuit before the Variac, the insulation to case or exterior metalwork has to withstand the full supply voltage.  In practice, under the direct control and supervision of a competent person, its fine for bench testing and if the knob is locked, for general use by said person *AFTER* they have satisfied themselves that the equipment's insulation, creepage distances, clearances etc. are adequate for 240V - beware of cheap & nasty rocker type power switches!

If anyone else in the household without an EE/EEE background is going to use it, either convert it to 240V operation (if its possible to safely do so) or get it a voltage conversion transformer, preferably *NOT* an autotransformer. 

Offline andre_teprom

• Regular Contributor
    • Aluis-Rcastro
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:23 pm »
Although the Variac, strictly speaking is an equipment designed for withstand power applications and the manufacturers specifies sufficient wattage ratings that may comfortably fits your load requirements, its use is not recommended as a "permanent" transformer, because of the live contacts on the windings w/o finishing, which can oxidize over time more rapidly in the presence of current all the time.
"Part of the world that you live in, You are the part that you're giving" ( Renaissance )

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 03:21:49 pm »
The other question is what is the piece of equipment? If may be easier to just modify it to work on 230V
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf