Author Topic: Video RCA to just a 2pin Waterproof Connector?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Falcon69Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Video RCA to just a 2pin Waterproof Connector?
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:18:01 am »
Hello People.

I've never taken an RCA cable, split it, and converted it to a standard 2pin connector before, then back into an RCA input again. Will this work or will there be problems?

What I want to do is wire a back up camera on my truck, but then have a waterproof quick disconnect so when I hook up the trailers, I can hook them up too, which will also have the back up cameras installed on them as well (at the same time disconnecting the one on the truck). So Kinda like using those (another one, in addition to the trailer lights harness) 4-pin trailer light harnesses to do the job.

Will it distort the image doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Video RCA to just a 2pin Waterproof Connector?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:23:40 am »
you should be fine so long as you use the coaxial wire it comes as for as much of the span as possible (you are likely going to be running it right next to your high current trailer wiring),

If you need beefier wire, and dont have coaxial lying around, twist it at 1 turn per inch minimum to keep the nose induced low.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:25:30 am »
ya, I'll try to splice the wire to the connector as close as possible to keep it twisted together.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:55:03 pm »
Don't forget a waterproof cap for the ends of the wires as well on the trailer, as it will corrode when you leave it off for a long while, and then give intermittent results when you try to use it.

Offline Heszu

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:20:55 pm »
Don't forget a waterproof cap for the ends of the wires as well on the trailer, as it will corrode when you leave it off for a long while, and then give intermittent results when you try to use it.

Also fill completely with silicone grease the "backside" of connectors, where the wires are soldered or screw connected.
Also a fair amount in between connectors when "engaging" them..
 (This way we connect Under Water equipment)

WBR
Heszu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:56:07 pm »
good idea, thank you for the ideas.

Now just to figure out how to mount the cameras on the trailers. one is a dump trailer, another is a cargo trailer. I think I will fabricate some kind of a "hood" out of 1/8 steel and place over the top of it, that way when the trailer dumps, everything falls past it and onto the ground. Hopefully the cameras won't get damaged, but at least I'm buying cheap ebay cameras for the trailers. Maybe I can get creative and build a bracket system with a stepper motor, so that when the dump bed is activated, the camera swings up under the dump bed out of the way.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 07:39:07 pm »
With cheap cameras just buy 4 of them, so each trailer has a semi permanent camera on it, the car has one, and you have a hot spare camera ready for use. That way you only have to have one easy to undo waterproof terminal, the ones on the camera can be simply sealed with self amalgamating tape over regular 3M insulating tape, making the join waterproof and easy to undo when needed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf