Author Topic: Video Tutorial: Basics of an RF Comb Generator...  (Read 2993 times)

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Video Tutorial: Basics of an RF Comb Generator...
« on: November 01, 2014, 04:36:11 am »
...what it is, how it works, and some basic applications and uses for it...

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: Gmm213

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Video Tutorial: Basics of an RF Comb Generator...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:07:55 am »
nice video. +1 and thumbs up!  :)

questions:
1. in optical frequency combs (with which I am more familiar) there are two parameters, an offset-frequency, and the repetition rate. the comb teeth are at:
f_out = f_offset + n * f_rep
Are you saying that the offset-frequency of an RF-comb-generator is always zero? i.e. the teeth are exactly at:
f_out = n*f_rep ?

2. If you put a narrow-band filter around the n:th harmonic of the output, you'll get more or less a sine-wave at n*f_rep.
Is this n*f_rep sine-wave always phase-coherent with the input? i.e. there are  no cycle-slips and there will always be n cycles of the harmonic for each cycle of the input waveform, and the relative phase will not drift?
This has to do with my first question, since  in optical frequency combs you need to use phase locked loops to stabilize both f_offset and f_rep  in order to get phase-coherent output.

AW

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:26:47 pm »
nice video. +1 and thumbs up!  :)

questions:
1. in optical frequency combs (with which I am more familiar) there are two parameters, an offset-frequency, and the repetition rate. the comb teeth are at:
f_out = f_offset + n * f_rep
Are you saying that the offset-frequency of an RF-comb-generator is always zero? i.e. the teeth are exactly at:
f_out = n*f_rep ?

For a simple SRD based comb generator, yes.  For more theory on the SRD based comb generator, check out the HP Frequency Counter Teardown and Repair video by TheSignalPathBlog.

2. If you put a narrow-band filter around the n:th harmonic of the output, you'll get more or less a sine-wave at n*f_rep.
Is this n*f_rep sine-wave always phase-coherent with the input? i.e. there are  no cycle-slips and there will always be n cycles of the harmonic for each cycle of the input waveform, and the relative phase will not drift?
This has to do with my first question, since  in optical frequency combs you need to use phase locked loops to stabilize both f_offset and f_rep  in order to get phase-coherent output.

AW

It will be reasonably stable with respect to the input, but you have to remember that the phase noise gets multiplied up with the harmonic, so you'll probably need to clean it up.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
From some research this afternoon step recovery diodes appear to be very rare and expensive devices, I therefore went looking for an alternative and I found the following:

http://www.ke5fx.com/cg.htm

This RF Comb Generator uses reasonably easy to obtain components with a pulse width of about 1nS and output beyond 2,5GHz.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf