Author Topic: Video: What is a dB, dBm, dBc, etc., and their use in a Spectrum Analyzer  (Read 9031 times)

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
This topic has been requested very often.  This video describes what a decibel (dB) is, and what is meant by units such as dBm, dBu, dBmV, dBc, etc., and how these are used in a Spectrum Analyzer:

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Great tutorial video as always.  :-+

You're making this so painless and so effective, current new generation are so lucky. I wished this kind of video were there when I was trying to understand the dB.  :'(

Btw, about that scope, is there any chance there are some spare unused one that you tucked somewhere ? I don't mind paying the premium shipping cost.  :-DD

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
briliant video, i was just watching it when you posted it on the forum. you do make it so easy, before i was confused as to how Dbm relates to watts but not now you have explained it, thanks W2AEW
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
You guys are double teaming on the drool factor , you and the signal path blog with the new 4000 .
You need to lone me one of those also , I do not learn without repeated use of what I am taught ;) !!!

Offline ohmineer

• Contributor
Thanks for this excellent video. The way you teach some concepts is impressive.
It is funny to see how simple they can be and how difficult made them some of my lecturers during my college years.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Most definitely clear as day instead of clear as mud.  I agree with the other posters, you seem to have a knack of simplifying fairly difficult concepts and making them understandable by every one.  Please keep up the good work and keep the videos coming.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
At 11:27 you said dBm. Did you mean dBu? I don't know how to type a Mu.

This was a helpful video. Thanks
Also, on my computer the video paused momentarily several times when I watched in 720p. Only for a split second. This is quite unusual behavior so I thought I'd mention it in case it isn't just me.

Yeah - I meant to say dB mu at that point.  I added a short annotation to the video at that point.  Sorry about that.

I'm not sure why you paused - but the video has had a lot of hits over the last 10-12 hours, so maybe it was just traffic related.
FAE for Tektronix

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Also, on my computer the video paused momentarily several times when I watched in 720p. Only for a split second. This is quite unusual behavior so I thought I'd mention it in case it isn't just me.

My YouTube videos have been doing that a lot lately. I thought perhaps it was a background process in my computer doing it, but now you've mentioned it perhaps it is YouTube fiddling with their streaming algorithms. They've been making sorts of adjustments in recent months.

Offline Technicial

Great video. Now i want a spectrum analyzer hehe. Maybe i'll look up how to make one some time.

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
Great video. Now i want a spectrum analyzer hehe. Maybe i'll look up how to make one some time.

There are several plans on the internet showing how to make one using an old TV or VCR tuner.  Here's a link to one such design:
http://www.science-workshop.com/

Also, one of Dave's recent videos where he visited a local ham radio club meeting/gathering, featured a completely homemade spectrum analyzer.  Here's the link to that one:

FAE for Tektronix

Offline Zh4ng

• Supporter
For me, the link to www.science-Workshop.com is down. I got a 403 Forbidden ?!  :scared:

Great Tutorial.... Thx

Zh4ng

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
For me, the link to www.science-Workshop.com is down. I got a 403 Forbidden ?!  :scared:

Great Tutorial.... Thx

Zh4ng

Maybe it is some kind of a regional restriction?  The link works for me (I just tried it).
FAE for Tektronix

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
I really enjoyed this straight forward explanation of units on a spectrum analyzer.
Thanks for making these videos.

One question I have, if it comes to SA:
Why are so many of them have a minimum frequency of 9 kHz
Why not 10 or any other number?
Probably is a simple explanation, that I do not see at the moment.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
The old saying is certainly true here: only an expert can sound like a beginner.

Great video.  It's a rough road on my way to understanding analog and RF electronics.  You have really made that ride much smoother.  Thanks.
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

Offline Zh4ng

• Supporter

Great Tutorial.... Thx

Zh4ng

Maybe it is some kind of a regional restriction?  The link works for me (I just tried it).

Damned, way they block Germany.... or maybe the rest of the world..  :--

Offline enz

• Regular Contributor

Great Tutorial.... Thx

Zh4ng

Sorry, but it works for me (also Germany). So it must be a problem on your side.

Offline Zh4ng

• Supporter

Great Tutorial.... Thx

Zh4ng

Sorry, but it works for me (also Germany). So it must be a problem on your side.

Ok, it was the fucking google Proxy on Chrome Mobile....  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf