Author Topic: virtual ground in multiple output amplifiers  (Read 773 times)

Offline kokodinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
virtual ground in multiple output amplifiers
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:59:27 pm »
I post it here because i am just embaresed that i don't know it

situation is simple:
single power suply, ground at 0V and positive rail at 24V
i was thinking about making 4 tda2030 output stages for 4 separate 4 ohm speakers ~10W each

i made first power stage, tested it, and i begin to think. can i use virtual ground from this power stage to bias other 3 or should i make 4 separate resistor deviders to bias each tda chip biasing as its own thing?
not that i want save 2 resistors per chip, but i was wondering how much would single common virtual ground drift and distort inputs offor instance silent at this moment  channel?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:08:14 am by kokodin »

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: virtual ground in multiple output amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:01:09 am »
Take a look at my recent thread "Circuit Review?" before committing to the resistor only based v-ground.  It has serious draw backs.  There is a link to literally dozens of designs for v-ground circuits for when you need much more power handling.

If the v-ground is stable enough I would expect it would be fine for biasing multiple outputs.  Mine does two.

A few tests I would do.... connect your circuit to a noisy power source, or power something noisy and digital from the same power source as your amp.  I found I got a lot of noise pick up with the resistor only divider.  The other is to measure the v-ground with a scope in AC coupling mode to see how much drift you have at high power outputs.   Personally I take that as a percentage of the full output and subjectively determine if it's good enough.  So 10mVpp drift outputing 10Vpp is 0.1% and fine.  100mV is 1% and probably too much.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf