Author Topic: Voltage on sensors vs. voltage on board.  (Read 1159 times)

Offline roffvaldTopic starter

• Supporter
Voltage on sensors vs. voltage on board.
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:13:11 am »
Please excuse my noobishness(if that's a word), but I've been getting into the hobby of electronics over the last months, mostly putting together kits or simple circuits from schematics.

However now I have an actual project on hand where I will be using an ESP8266 12-E to connect 6x temperature/humidity sensors(DHT11) for use in a server room.

I have ordered this board through OSHPARK(Not designed by me) ( https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/9CsYq2PY  +  https://github.com/8n1/ESP8266-Breakout-Adapter/tree/master/Breakout%20Adapter%20v1.1%20-%20LM1117 ) and will be soldering the ESP8266 module to that. The board has an onboard 3.3V regulator for the EPS8266, however I would like to run the sensors on the 5V i plan to input to the board. Will this work or do I need to also run the sensors on 3.3V? Is a pull up resistor needed for the signals from the sensors and would 4.7k do?

I will be soldering and putting everything together, my friend who is a coder is doing the coding.

Sorry if I left something out, and thanks for any help. This forum has provided me with hours of interesting reading, so thanks for that too :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:55:55 am by roffvald »

Offline Alex Trofimov

• Contributor
Re: Voltage on sensors vs. voltage on board.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:46:44 am »
I think, it may work. In this case don't forget that low state on the I/O line should be 0 volts, but high state should be Hi-Z, because the pull-up resistor is the sourse of high logic level. The last one should be connected to 3.3V in this case. And 4.7k resistors would do the buisiness, if your cable from board to sensor is less than 20m, according to the datasheet on DHT11.
But, why bother. :-) 3.3V is within valid DHT11 power supply voltages range. LM1117's power capability is weeeeell enough to power 6 DHT11's. So I'd use onboard 3.3V supply for everything.

Offline roffvaldTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: Voltage on sensors vs. voltage on board.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 01:52:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, it makes sense. The wiring will be at most 10m. And I've been reading some more datasheets  so as you said I'll just stick with the onboard 3.3V.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:56:36 pm by roffvald »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf