Author Topic: Voltage signal multiplying\dividing  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Alex30Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Voltage signal multiplying\dividing
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:46:01 am »
So I have a circuit where a 10 volt reference signal comes in and then I have an inline 10K resistor and a 10K pot going to ground in order to vary the signal between these two resistors from 0->5 V to control a comparator.

This 0->5V signal actually refers to a 0->3A current limit I am setting up.

So I want to take that 0->5V signal and multiply it by a factor of (3/5) so I can throw that number on a voltmeter to display what I have set the current limit to. Obviously this means I cannot degrade the signal at all otherwise it will screw up the comparator. What is the best way of accomplishing this?

Thanks

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Voltage signal multiplying\dividing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:30 am »
Use an op amp, one as a buffer so you do not load your signals, driving a voltage divider, and your voltmeters impedance should be high enough that you could throw a resistor dividor on the output for the voltmeter, or use a second op amp to properly divide the buffered signal down if you want the lowest possible power consumption,

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:54 am »
Excellent thanks that worked :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:47:20 am by Alex30 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 12:22:00 pm »
Say there isn't a way to subtract 20mV from that signal without using more opamps is there?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 01:47:08 pm »
Just another voltage divider; compensate for its loading effect in the previous divider, or buffer the signal.

Subtraction can be done by raising ground, if you can do this with your voltmeter.  Otherwise, op-amp I guess (you don't need another, just tweak the inputs with a little bias current).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:41:43 am »
Doh, why didn't I think of that? I'm already using a voltage reference in my circuit so I should be able to just divide that down to 20mV and run the voltmeter across these two signals. I think the mark of experience is just seeing these things in the simplest way. Thanks for that

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 01:02:47 pm »
Say there isn't a way to subtract 20mV from that signal without using more opamps is there?
You might also consider taking a good look at your grounds... where are you connecting the low side lead of the measuring meter? Do you have any resistive losses (V = I*R) contributing an extra 20 mV on that line? It should have a dedicated connection to the low side of the 0-5V voltage divider.

You should also consider using a "precision" opamp. These are designed to introduce less DC offset for applications like this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf