Author Topic: Walkie Talkie activating button  (Read 2247 times)

Offline dleebellTopic starter

• Contributor
Walkie Talkie activating button
« on: March 17, 2015, 09:48:17 am »
Hi

I've got a project where I am wanting to use two walkie talkies (WT) with an add on feature. Basically i want to have both walkie talkies with a button.  Where one of the walkie talkies is able to activate the other button. So...

Walkie Talkie 1: Button Off = Walkie Talkie 2 Button Off
Walkie Talkie 1; Button On = Walkie Talkie 2 Button On

The system only works one way where WT1 activates WT2.

I have been told that I can send informaton via walkie talkies using either a 556 Chip or a Nordic nRF24L01 Chip, both of which send an audio frequency. Either on will be connected to WT1 and my arduino connected to WT2.

Are there any other ways of activating the button through the WT's (wirelessly) without playing an audio that can be heard?
Or is it a matter of just raising the frequency to the extent of not being picked up by the human ear...

Many Thanks
Dominic

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
Re: Walkie Talkie activating button
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 12:56:36 pm »
Not quite sure exactly what this is for but if you disconnect the speaker from the receiving unit the audio being transmitted won't be heard.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline dleebellTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:04:58 pm »
It's for a project of mine at uni.

So if I disconnect the speaker for the period of 'deactivating' or 'activating' button the arduino is still able to pick up the frequency? From which chip 556 or Nordic nRF24L01.

many Thanks
Dom

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:08:16 pm »
Assuming you want this in-band, have you considered sub-audible tones? Look up CTCSS or PL tone.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:45:35 pm »
Many two way's come with a repeater function these days, usual y works with a CTCS or.DTMF   

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 10:11:14 am »
It's for a project of mine at uni.

So if I disconnect the speaker for the period of 'deactivating' or 'activating' button the arduino is still able to pick up the frequency? From which chip 556 or Nordic nRF24L01.

You could disconnect the speaker permanently if you wanted. It doesn't alter the radio's behaviour. Just like how a portable radio doesn't stop playing when  you unplug the headphones.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf