Author Topic: Want to get started with making circuits  (Read 7292 times)

Offline UberStrike88Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Want to get started with making circuits
« on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:27 am »
Hello guys,

Well i want to start with making some circuits but i really don't know where to start...
I most of the time just repair things like when a ic is broken i just replace it not that i know how it works or something like that
So does anyone have some tutorials on where to get started with this?
And can some one link me to a empty board (You know, so that you can make your own circuits) on ebay please

Regards,

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Want to get started with making circuits
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:58 am »
can some one link me to a empty board (You know, so that you can make your own circuits) on ebay please

Well, let's try to help this lost lad....

first...a "empty board...to make circuits on":  Well you might want to look towards a "bread board"  It allows you to make temporarily circuits, that you can easily change.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/830-Tie-Points-Solderless-PCB-Breadboard-MB102-65Pcs-Jumper-cable-wires-Arduino-/400366982418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d37bb5512

As far as "making circuits" - start small - really small.  Best chance for future success is not to try to bite off something huge. Don't try to make your cell phone open your garage door.  I've seen so many beginners with big eyes that try something unassumingly complex, fail, and stop the hobby.  Rather look at circuits that have only 2, 3 or 4 parts to them.

Last thing I'll leave you with is the Arduino route.  You'll learn some stuff, and have fun with it.  Not a bad way to start.  But if you really want to get started with "circuits" - there are literally 10's of thousands of tutorials online.  Asking for help at such a early stage makes me think you want someone to hold your hand a bit.  I have bad news for you.  If you want to get into electronics, the ugly truth is that you'll spend many a night banging your head against a desk, asking "WHY DOESN'T THIS WORK LIKE IT SHOULD!!!!!!"

PS - model ship building or golf is always an option...kinda wished I didn't get started in electronics...it's the most expensive, frustrating hobby on earth.  But I do like it - suits me well.

Watch this video all the way through.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:11:12 am by george graves »

Offline made2hack

• Frequent Contributor
    • Made2Hack
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 10:16:59 am »
I'm new to the scene as well and I started by getting a whole bunch of resistor values.

Say, 1% resistrs (0.25W - 0.6W) in the values of 1, 2, 2.2, 3.3, 4.7 and 5.1 is a good start, and just multiply by x1, x10, x100,

so, you get 1Ohm, 10Ohm, 100Ohm 2.2Ohm, 22Ohm, etc... you get the idea.

They are not expensive and if you pick up around 10 - 20 each, you should get a whole bunch for less than 5 Euros.

I also got a whole bunch of the 1, 10, 100 because I wanted to build a decade box, which is a project I will start soon.

Also, you will probably do the same with capacitors, etc.

Oh, and don't forget a good digital multi-meter. Dave has great videos on how to choose one!!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:36:34 am »
Thanks for the help guys :)
I really appriciate it :D
Can i start with making a 12V to 5V power supply?
I've seen them everywhere so i might try it right? ;D
But anyway i can also make a 4x aa battery circuit to make a protable cellphone charger :D

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:28:11 pm »
kinda wished I didn't get started in electronics...it's the most expensive, frustrating hobby on earth.
I take it you don't have many hobbies...

Offline DrJoe

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 05:55:26 pm »
Check the third "pinned" post in this forum for tons of beginner info.

For buying components, eBay has lots of assortment kits - resistors, capacitors, switches, leds and such for far less than the usual retail suppliers - for example for under $10 you can get an assortment of 1/4 watt resistors of 80+ values.

For an absolute beginner to electronics and circuits I'd start with the Make:Electronics book and work through the examples. Forest Mim's "Getting Started in Electronics" is good, too.

There are lots of good beginner videos on youTube - check out MJLorton and "The Electro Fogey" for some decent absolute beginner videos.

Once you have some basic concepts and experience, then get "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and the workbook that goes with it and do the whole workbook.

And my best advice is - keep a notebook. Get one that you record your experiments, ideas and learning. It will be invaluable.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:14:35 pm »
Electronics isn't all that expensive to get into. You can scavenge parts and equipment-wise a cheap breadboard with a self-built LM317 power supply and a low end multimeter is fine for just starting. If you get addicted to high end test gear or go off into some exotic branch of electronics it can get very expensive quickly.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 06:16:37 pm »
I like the Arduino suggestion.  Hardware can be tedious to design and debug on its own.  Code is more forgiving in that regard sometimes.  Mix both!

I don't have any experience with any of these, but one of these Arduino project books is probably a really good starting out point.  Nothing like a cookbook stye design guide to get you going fast.  And you end up with some pretty interesting finished projects.  Not just a flashing light.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=arduino+project+book

You will probably also want to get some basic test equipment like people have been saying.  There are a TON of threads about what to get in your first electronics toolbox around here.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »
I have all the tools that i need :) just need some tutorials and suggestions :D

Offline khendar

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:02:57 am »
I've just been getting started as well. Here's a list of the my process so far:

• LEDs - Easiest way to learn how the breadboard works. Breadboards can be slightly confusing at first so it helps to learn how they work with something simple like a battery, a resistor and a LED
  • Voltage Regulators - Get a bunch of fixed and variable voltage regulators (LM7805,LM7809,LM317 etc) and build them up on a breadboard. Learn how to use resistors to control the voltages on the variable regulators, then replace the resistors with a pot to make it adjustable.
  • Power supply - I took an old ATX power supply and added indicator LEDS, on/off switch and binding posts to turn it into a basic bench supply. Just be careful with the current output (burnt a few components out that way). I'm currently working on a more reliable one
  • 555 timer - One of the most versatile and cheapest ICs. I bought a pack of 10 from ebay and build LED blinkers, PWM fan controllers and LED chasers.
  • Other ICs - I've picked up some 4017 decade counters and 74HC595N shift registers to do some experimenting with LED matrices.
  • Kits - I ought a bunch of kits (from a local store called Jaycar) and built them up. Useful for learning how different things work, how PCBs are laid out and gives you soldering practice. When you've finished them look for ways to modify them (for example I built a LED chaser kit and then modified it with a pot to control the speed). Buy all of the individual components of the kit and put it together yourself on a breadboard - tweaking stuff as you go.
  • Speaking of soldering practice, get some veroboard or protoboard and practice soldering and desoldering components. I started by soldering dozens of PCB Pins onto a veroboard, then desoldering and cleaning up the board with desoldering braid. Rinse and repeat. Buy a cheap bulk pack of components and practice soldering them onto veroboard. When you can get 600 resistors for a couple of dollars you can afford to use up a few getting your skills up
  • Finally it helps to have a project in mind while you are learning, and then break the project down into small pieces and learn about each of them individually. For example I have an idea for a configurable microcontroller based motorised camera dolly, so I'm learning about stepper motor controls, programming micros (with Arduino), user interfaces etc.

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:11:31 am »
This site has a lot of stuff, from simple to more complex circuits, schematics, board layouts, breadboard, take a look, maybe you find some good things to build

http://320volt.com/en/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:56:47 am by RobertoLG »

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 07:11:53 pm »
Thanks guys i'm thinking for buying these items what do you think?
That you're rich!  ;D
I think you're not going to need this stuff yet. I would suggest you start by finding a design you want to implement, order the parts and do it. Something small like a dimmer, a small amplifier, a function generatior etc. Or go the arduino way and buy to play. An other good investment is a nice book like The art of electronics etc. Actually there is an excellent tread in the forum about books.
Good luck!

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:44:02 am »
I think you need to start at the basics. KCL, KVL, Mesh and Nodal Analysis. Using a breadboard, wires, power supply, meter and resistors you can accomplish this. first, look up those terms and then design circuits based on those terms (circuit in series, circuit in parallel, circuit in both series-parallel) and then use the proper equations of ohms law, KCL, KVL, Mesh, and Nodal circuits. That is pretty much the base of everything. As for approach, I suggest drawing random circuits and creating random numbers for voltage, resistance, and current. Then when you understand the terms I listed mixing it up so that you do the math first, then verify it with physical circuits second. That is my opinion and I know others might disagree but I feel having a strong grasp of the math is equally important as understanding the physical side to circuit design. Once you are comfortable with that evolving from there into more complicated stuff. IMO a understanding of KCL, KVL, Ohms Law, Mesh and Nodal processes is imperative to understanding what a physical circuit is doing.

All this requires is a breadboard, PSU (variable of course), wire, resistors and a DMM to check volts and current, sometimes resistance.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 12:55:45 pm »
For most parts I prefer Tayda to EBay.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »
I have all the tools that i need :) just need some tutorials and suggestions :D
One tool I would have welcomed back when I was starting out was an LCR meter.  Especially for learning about components, and salvaged/recycled components in particular.  Disassembling discarded electronics both for the purposes of learning how they are made, and ALSO for the purpose of collecting useful components.

There is a very popular $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker kit that I would recommend as an early "project"  It is instructive to see how PC boards work and getting experience soldering, and you end up with an extraordinarily cost-effective and valuable piece of test gear, IMHO.  A very remarkable bang for the buck.  There are several very similar versions of this gadget available on Ebay, and there is an epic discussion of this device here in this forum: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/

It might be helpful to "focus" your interest in electronics into a particular area or two.  For example, audio, or robotics or remote-control "quadcopters" or whatever. But of course there is a general base of electronics fundamentals that apply to all electronic circuits.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »
Ohh wow that is really nice!
Where can i get that esr meter?
I have a bunch of broken stuff so i can use it for sure!
Thanks mate!

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 05:33:39 pm »
It seems like I see a lot of beginners asking about building power supplies. I don't get where that comes from. I guess because it's something typically regarded as pretty important, but I wouldn't personally recommend starting with that. As others have said, I think it's best to start slow. LEDs, blinkies and things like that.

Maybe this is a good order for learning things:
Resistors
Capacitors and Inductors
Diodes
Transistors
LEDs
Simple transistor based ICs
Op Amps
Sensors
Digital ICs (logic gates etc)
More complicated digital (ADCs DACs etc)
Microcontrollers

By the time you get to opamps you should not need more than a DMM and power supply. After that you might want more equipment, such as an oscilloscope.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 08:39:22 pm »
You certainly don't need hundreds of LEDs, slide slide switches, or push buttons. Just to start, 10-20 LEDs is probably plenty and I'd skip the buttons and switches completely for now. The resistors might be worth getting and you do need some kind of breadboard. Those paper/phenolic perfboards are not so good though, since you can find the FR-4 type pretty cheap.

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 09:00:10 am »
You certainly don't need hundreds of LEDs, slide slide switches, or push buttons. Just to start, 10-20 LEDs is probably plenty and I'd skip the buttons and switches completely for now. The resistors might be worth getting and you do need some kind of breadboard. Those paper/phenolic perfboards are not so good though, since you can find the FR-4 type pretty cheap.

I'll add to this with the idea that you purchase base on what projects you want to do. If you aren't aiming for anything permanent all the time then you will get a lot of re-use of these components so aim for some projects, pick a few and buy what you need plus a LITTLE bit extra, come up with a GOOD way or sorting everything and continue on. Eventually you will be up to your roof in parts and if your married your wife will give up on the garage soon enough, mine did years ago.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 12:48:54 am »
Watch this video all the way through.

I had that very kit when I was a kid (and still have it)! I recently restored the panel wiring as the original wiring had deteriorated. I personally preferred the 150 in one kit, that one had more interesting projects in my opinion. You can pick these things up on evilBay pretty cheap, but expect a rewiring job if you get one with a panel; remember these things are over 30 years old.

Also, as others have mentioned, get a breadboard, and a range of various components (electronics distributors often stock schools/colleges component kits). Get a few books too, don't go for anything too advanced, as you may be put off with all the complex math. Something along the lines of what interests you most, digital, analogue, audio, communications, etc... There's literally thousands of titles to choose from.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:52:22 am »
I would recommend a good balance of reading (and taking notes!) and hands on experiments. I used to always graze over theory, but I've learned that theory is good! Now that I'm in college actually learning theory, I can really understand circuits at a much deeper level. But don't bog yourself down with it either. I highly recommend the Art of Electronics and its Student Manual. Together they are a very powerful learning tool. The Art of Electronics on its own is great, but the student manual really helps to cement and clarify concepts.

Get yourself decent test equipment. You can easily be swooned into buying a $1000 oscilloscope by reading these forums, but for starting off, spend lightly because you don't really need it. Then, in the future, when you actually know how to use the equipment to its full potential, buy the latest and greatest (or at least better). For now, you won't have a use for the super high end equipment, so don't waste your money on it.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 04:28:17 am »
Book:
Practical Electronics for Inventors, 3rd Edition by Schertz & Monk.

I like it better than Make:... due to it's being geared towards selling their expensive parts kits. Art of Electronics is a good book also, but not really meant for novices IMHO (too easy to get frustrated with it).

Parts:
There's several threads in here that cover it (search "jellybean" for example). As per where to get them, I prefer normal distributors, such as digikey, mouser, newark, and alliedelec (genuine products, fast delivery). Tayda is also fine for basic stuff (cheap, but don't expect super fast delivery), and for a kit here or there, there's also Amazon (i.e Elenco or Joe Knows).

eBay can be used of course, but there's a chance of getting questionable quality, and fakes if there's something specific you're after at some point (i.e. x brand of y part).

Breadboard:
Various sizes and quality available (i.e. they can run from a few bucks to over $200). I'd personally recommend you get a better quality one such as 3M or Global Specialties. Both show up on eBay at decent prices if you're a little patient. Another brand that offers a good balance of cost & performance is Wisher (gets re-branded a lot, such as those sold by Radio Shack).

Projects:
Talking Electronics

Learnabout-Electronics.org might also be of interest as a learning resource.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf