Author Topic: Wavetek 182a function generator.  (Read 5327 times)

Offline bhilly82Topic starter

• Contributor
Wavetek 182a function generator.
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:13:30 am »
Just picked up one of these units from a local repair shop.  Just wondering if anyone has any experience with operation of the unit.  Also anyone know where i can get the user manual at?

Offline dirty_glam

• Contributor
Re: Wavetek 182a function generator.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:10 am »
I bought one also but it's not working and I'm trying to repair it myself.

Here's a link somebody posted in my question with the manual http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/wavetek/182A_Mar86.pdf

Hope it helps

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:22 am »
Yea i figured out how to use it,  still a very novice of test equipment beyond a multimeter.  On my scope though the square wave and the delta waves are distorted,  but i am still waiting on my bnc to bnc adapter arrives before i dig into it.  The shop i got mine from had calibrated it for a customer a few years years ago and they never picked it up.  They even had the manual for it they threw in with the deal.  I am mainly going to be using it for amplifier building and repair.   

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:04:33 am »
Ive repaired a lot of 180.

If There isn't anything on the exit but the offset work is ine if the threee little transistor in the VCG section
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:34:47 am »
the sine wave works fine,  but the delta and square wave seem to only work at 1khz and lower.  But I am also just learning how to use my scope I just got.  Its a Owon pds6062s.    I should have my BNC to BNC this weekend but so it may give a better result then probing the bnc plug with a probe.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:03 am »
Decided to open it up,  found r149 was blown its a 54.9 ohm 1% resistor.  it was replaced before but they replaced it with a 42 ohm 5% resistor.  Should i replace it with a 54.9 1% or replace it with what is in there now?

Also what would lead to r149 being popped like it was?  It blew hard and the pcb had some brownish black carbon on it right next to the blow out.  Its in the output amplifier section of the board.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:28 am »
Decided to open it up,  found r149 was blown its a 54.9 ohm 1% resistor.  it was replaced before but they replaced it with a 42 ohm 5% resistor.  Should i replace it with a 54.9 1% or replace it with what is in there now?

If you want the output impedance to be an accurate 50 ohm you should replace it with the correct value. If you don't care it doesn't care.

Also what would lead to r149 being popped like it was?  It blew hard and the pcb had some brownish black carbon on it right next to the blow out.  Its in the output amplifier section of the board.

Most likely because someone connected the output to something they should not have done, like a power rail or power supply.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 11:43:52 am »
I need to replace a switch on this unit,  the Delta wave only works when you push and hold the switch button,  the button does lock after pressing it but only generates the wave when you push and hold.  Does anyone know where to get a new switch?

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »
Try contact cleaner and/or switching it 20 times.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:23:18 pm »
I need to replace a switch on this unit,  the Delta wave only works when you push and hold the switch button,  the button does lock after pressing it but only generates the wave when you push and hold.  Does anyone know where to get a new switch?

You can't problably
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 03:35:15 am »

Try contact cleaner and/or switching it 20 times.

Did both things,  first i sprayed it till the stream was clean then ran the button 40 or so times and cleaned it out again.  Now it works.  Thanks for the tip.  I was looking threw all my grandpals old parts I got from him and I have what looks to be about 20 switches for it.  Has the throw out rod that you hook to the adjacent switches but its now working ok,  I need to replace that resistor that blew with the correct one when they get delivered. 

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »
Finally got my 54.9ohm resistors,  the output still isn't 50 ohms its 56.3 ohms.  I guess i need to look for other resistors that were replaced with 5% value and replace with 1% resistors.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »
Finally got my 54.9ohm resistors,  the output still isn't 50 ohms its 56.3 ohms.  I guess i need to look for other resistors that were replaced with 5% value and replace with 1% resistors.

How do you know that, did you measure it with an ohmmeter?  Maybe they designed it that way to get the best waveform into 50 ohms.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 11:30:30 pm »
After looking at the alignment section of the manual there are adjustment pots to adjust it to 50ohm.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf