Author Topic: Weird surge protector?  (Read 5134 times)

CitadelCore

Weird surge protector?
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:26:18 pm »
Hey,
While I was staying at a hotel in Tasmania I found this weird lamp-thing on the floor on the bottom part of the chest of drawers. My first thought was some kind of emergency light, but it's way too dim and way too small. And the drawers had a cutout specifically for it.

http://imgur.com/a/uMIi0
Here's the cutout for the light, and where it connects to.

It has the letters "H.P.M. CAT 751" on it, and my immediate thought was to go to HPM's website, but after seeing no results I searched for H.P.M. and it turns out that H.P.M. is a small business in Tasmania near where my hotel is. It looks like it's been acquired by Legrand Australia.

My best thought would be some kind of surge protector, but then again why have the lamp and the cutout?
Any ideas? This one has me stumped.  :-//

CitadelCore

Re: Weird surge protector?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 12:17:54 am »
Anyone? Please help, I'm really stumped on this one.  ???

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:27 am »
A 15 second Google search "hpm 751" shows that that is the part number of a shroud.

My guess it that the other part is a night light ?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:08 am »
It could or should be a visual indicator to show that somebody has not complied with the mandatory separation guidelines in relation to LV, 50mm or a physical barrier from memory is the requirement..... :palm:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:11:36 am by Muttley Snickers »

CitadelCore

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:19:14 am »
I don't think it's a nightlight myself because it stays on 24/7 and dosen't appear to have any type of light sensor. I mean, it's at the bottom of the chest of drawers, and appears to serve absolutely no purpose. It's also so dim that it emits almost no light. Feeling it with my hand, it's actually quite warm (but not hot)  ???
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:24:23 am by CitadelCore »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 05:06:21 am »
Hey,
While I was staying at a hotel in Tasmania I found this weird lamp-thing on the floor on the bottom part of the chest of drawers. My first thought was some kind of emergency light, but it's way too dim and way too small. And the drawers had a cutout specifically for it.

http://imgur.com/a/uMIi0
Here's the cutout for the light, and where it connects to.

It has the letters "H.P.M. CAT 751" on it, and my immediate thought was to go to HPM's website, but after seeing no results I searched for H.P.M. and it turns out that H.P.M. is a small business in Tasmania near where my hotel is. It looks like it's been acquired by Legrand Australia.

My best thought would be some kind of surge protector, but then again why have the lamp and the cutout?
Any ideas? This one has me stumped.  :-//

I don't know about "a small business"------HPM have for many years,been one of the two main suppliers of GPOs,
mains plugs,extension sockets,& most of the other bits-n-pieces used in Electrical wiring.
The other major source is Clipsal.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 05:17:11 am »
I think the thing is intended to slightly warm the interior of the chest of drawers so as to prevent condensation.
After all,it does get cold & damp in Tasmania.

CitadelCore

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 07:50:26 am »
Might be to warm the drawers, however if that's the case why does the lamp need to be exposed and pointing outwards rather than towards the top of the drawers? It even has its own cutout.

Offline Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:26:35 am »
Might be to warm the drawers, however if that's the case why does the lamp need to be exposed and pointing outwards rather than towards the top of the drawers? It even has its own cutout.

Easy inspection?

Offline BurningTantalum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:32:00 am »
What type of light globe/bulb is it?
In a previous life I lived in hotels for 3/4 of 20 years (3months on, 1 month off) and never knowingly had the luxury of a 'drawer warmer' (unless I paid the going rate...) Mind you- it wasn't in Tassie, brrrr!
BT

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 08:49:18 am »
It's almost impossible to tell from the photo, I'm thinking a localised RCD or MCB (safety switch), they would not want a short in one room to affect guests in adjoining rooms and Clipsal do have a small form factor device with a status indicator.

Hotels and motels do have particular requirements in regards to safety and electrical systems.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:49:43 am by Muttley Snickers »

CitadelCore

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 09:30:48 am »
Seems like it, although it has two three "combined" wires going into each side, one wire going to a plug socket, and the other going through a plug socket to the mains. So it looks like it dosen't gate current at all, it's merely some kind of thing in series with the other plugs. To BurningTantalum: No idea what the model is, but looks like some kind of acrylic package with LEDs inside, although they're not bright enough, and it vaguely looks like there's 2 LEDs inside.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:32:51 am by CitadelCore »

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 09:33:44 am »
Am I missing something?  That is just an outlet box.

CitadelCore

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 09:41:20 am »
I couldn't get a good shot of the actual thing behind the lamp, and it looks the same as the outlet box anyway, so that's what it looks like.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 09:51:50 am »
I think the thing is intended to slightly warm the interior of the chest of drawers so as to prevent condensation.
After all,it does get cold & damp in Tasmania.
^ This ^

Sticking a low-wattage bulb in the bottom of a cupboard or drawers to keep things just warm enough to prevent condensation is an old trick. My grandparents (who hailed from Tassie) even did it when they moved up to Queensland, & I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in an old newspaper hints column while trawling Trove.

CitadelCore

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 09:59:06 am »
It's not really that warm, it's literally just feelable with the back of your hand, and I don't really notice any temperature changes in the drawers. If it's meant to do that, then great, it'll keep my clothes from going mouldy. Any ideas what the bulb in question could be? It definately feels like plastic, has what looks like two filaments, and gives off a faint orangey-red glow (better seen at night)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:01:37 am by CitadelCore »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 10:28:27 am »
It's not really that warm, it's literally just feelable with the back of your hand, and I don't really notice any temperature changes in the drawers. If it's meant to do that, then great, it'll keep my clothes from going mouldy. Any ideas what the bulb in question could be? It definately feels like plastic, has what looks like two filaments, and gives off a faint orangey-red glow (better seen at night)

A plastic front cover---behind it is two 240v "pilot lamps",hence the "two filaments".

CitadelCore

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 07:25:34 pm »
Ah I see! Thanks, I'll consider the matter closed.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 04:05:48 am »
Don't take my explanation as Gospel--it just looks like it,from your description & the pix.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 12:17:58 pm »
Had a look back through my Trove edits & couldn't find it, so it may have been something I saw but didn't correct. Using a lamp to dehumidify / prevent mildew in cupboards is/was definitely a thing though - this Popular Mechanics from 1952 has it as a reader suggestion, this book mentions it in late 50's / early 60's Bermuda, and here mentions it being done in SF & Taiwan.

Nowdays you can buy Cupboard heaters for the same purpose.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:24:16 pm by Tac Eht Xilef »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf