Author Topic: What's your favorite little inexpensive ESR, etc. tester?  (Read 11966 times)

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: What's your favorite little inexpensive ESR, etc. tester?
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »
Got to admit the $20 (or cheaper) magic box of tricks is truly amazing. Not sure how it would cope with larger caps but 2200uf was fine.

Theoretically it should support caps up to 100mF but the measurement would take some time. While writing the m-firmware I've tested caps up to about 20mF. BTW, gold caps aren't supported.
FidoNet 2:240/1661

Offline Retep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
From videos I found last night I'm thinking these inexpensive testers don't do well with big 1000uF and larger caps?
I did some tests with 2200µF, 8200µF, 15000µF, 27000µF and a 124000µF caps. With the exception of the 124000µF cap the $20 tester handled them just fine, though it needs a little more time with larger caps. I can't vouch for its accuracy though, the $20 tester is the only meter I have that does go beyond 20000µF. My $20 tester doesn't seem go below about 30pF, below that it just says "No, unknown or damaged part".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:50:13 PM by Retep »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
I'd like to see the Peak Atlas LCR45 ($170 USD) face off against the DER EE DE-5000 (~$80 USD)
thelcr45 has a 0.1? resolution, and the deree-5000 has a m? resolution
clearly not the same product.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 01:05:45 AM »
My $20 tester doesn't seem go below about 30pF, below that it just says "No, unknown or damaged part".

That's the lower limit of the k-firmware. But you could parallel a small cap to get more than 30pF in total and then subtract the cap. The m-firmware allows measurements down to 5pF.
FidoNet 2:240/1661

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
I find the $20 unit suits my meager needs rather nicely.

I just finished recapping 2 HP power supplies and the $20 component tester found all the bad caps in circuit. It does have a tendency to identify failed caps as diodes - but does force you to further investiagte the suspect cap.

I also find it very handy for cleaning up the stray components on my benchtop after a "design by substitution" session. Small resistors with poor color coding are identified in a few seconds. I do find the ZIF socket a little tedious and tend to make more frequent use the triad of solder pads to the left of the socket.

Works wonders on sorting out components in the junk box too.

From videos I found last night I'm thinking these inexpensive testers don't do well with big 1000uF and larger caps?

I just pulled some 4000uF old Spragues out of an old HP 6114 supply and measured both ESR and capacitance successfully on both caps. This tester identified one cap as defective with ESR over 1 ohm. The other tested below 0.1 ohm.  I have not experienced any issues using this tester as a go / no check on any repair project.  Some bad caps are shown as diodes, but of course that warrants futher out of circuit measurements. Those suspicious in circuit measurements then become confirmed out of circuit failed components.
Perturb and observe.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf