Author Topic: What character display is this ? [SOLVED]  (Read 1763 times)

Offline OnemindeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What character display is this ? [SOLVED]
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:25:45 am »
I hope I am posting in the right area.

I have been searching for a specific character display and the only one I know of who is using it is Luxman, the audio company. Since there are several types available, I think I need some help here.
The display in the Luxman product seem to use a very small pixel area, smaller than the ones I am used to seeing. Any help is appreciated. Here are two pictures showing the display.

and

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:41:03 pm by Oneminde »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: What character display is this ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:54:11 am »
Isn't it just a neon plasma dot-matrix display?  A vendor like Luxman would have to use some obscure weird-looking display just because they are Luxman and have an audiophool image to maintain.  Note the completely gratuitous firebottle prominently displayed in the window next to the plasma display.   :-/O

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:03:46 am »
Isn't it just a neon plasma dot-matrix display?  A vendor like Luxman would have to use some obscure weird-looking display just because they are Luxman and have an audiophool image to maintain.  Note the completely gratuitous firebottle prominently displayed in the window next to the plasma display.   :-/O
Not plasma, does are round like pinball machine.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 04:05:26 am »
That font doesn't look like any character display. It's a graphics display and the host CPU generates frame data from a software font.
I bet it's a yellow OLED.
I have looked at that, but the space between the led's does not match, but are you saying that one can mimic a high resolution display with graphics ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 04:08:25 am »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:28:28 am »
"Large FL display

The D-380 features a large, high quality, high visibility FL display with 4x zoom mode – a useful tool for remote operation from a listening position at distance from the system. The orange colour of the display takes into consideration the illumination environment of a listening room, whilst a dimmer (illumination switching) function can turn the display light off completely"

In normal mode it looks like a normal yellow character display.. but what does FL mean ? fluorescent light display

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:04:55 am »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:19:03 pm »
VFD with a yellow filter.

https://hackaday.io/project/6793-vfd-panel-filter
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

The pixel pitch on a VFL is a match. Its much smaller than an OLED. The other thing is you need a large display with equal pixal pitch in order for the zoom effect to be used. So, a display that is very close in spec and size is the Noritake Itron VFD GU256X128D-3xxxB.

"The D-380 features a large, high quality, high visibility FL display with 4x zoom mode – a useful tool for remote operation from a listening position at distance from the system. The orange colour of the display takes into consideration the illumination environment of a listening room, whilst a dimmer (illumination switching) function can turn the display light off completely."

Vacuum Fluorescent Display has been around for a long time and is one of the most light intense displays of this type, also it has the finest pixel pitch of them all. So there we go. Luxman use a large VFL display with continues pixel grid. Simulation of that is shown in the picture I have attached.

Thanks guy's, this made my day  ;D

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:27:42 pm »
The pixel pitch on a VFL is a match.

Uhhh....  A VFD can be made with pretty much whatever sized and shaped elements the designer requires.

The following users thanked this post: Oneminde

• Regular Contributor
Re: What character display is this ? [SOLVED]
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:47:59 pm »
I guess so. But each individual display development will cost a large sum of money ... he he

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf