Author Topic: What degree does Dave have.  (Read 28913 times)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: What degree does Dave have.
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 09:03:18 pm »
Every sane owner of a degree will tell you that the degree is "just" the admission ticket for the corresponding profession.

Well, I consider myself sane and from my experience degrees are very valuable, forcing one to learn to a depth that is rarely achieved by self learning or by on the job experience. 

I was working professionally for a few years designing boards and writing firmware with high school education only and then realized how shallow my knowledge was without all that mathematical and theoretical background.

Bottom line, they are not just tickets, they actually made me a much better engineer.

Indeed!  And nobody is going to sit down and learn to solve differential equations as a hobby - at least not any engineer I ever met.  It's hard work and can only really be achieved after spending quite a bit of time with calculus.  Another subject that might be difficult to self-teach.

Fourier, Laplace, Maxwell's Equations?  Forget about it!  These things are tough!

I'll tell you what is nice about EE school circa '73:  We used slide rules and did most of the math in our heads.  It's fun to be sitting in a meeting and when a number question comes up, just spout off the answer to a couple of significant digits while everybody else is struggling to find their calculator app.  The look of shock when they eventually confirm your answer is priceless.  Yes, they'll have more digits but that isn't the point!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 09:13:59 pm »

I'll tell you what is nice about EE school circa '73:  We used slide rules and did most of the math in our heads.  It's fun to be sitting in a meeting and when a number question comes up, just spout off the answer to a couple of significant digits while everybody else is struggling to find their calculator app.  The look of shock when they eventually confirm your answer is priceless.  Yes, they'll have more digits but that isn't the point!

Uh I hate calculator apps, Always have a scientific caculator to hand, nothing beats the actual device versus an approximation in an app.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 09:21:29 pm »
Please can I refer everyone to episode #54:

It's 20 minutes long. Time mark please?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2016, 10:20:30 pm »
Uh I hate calculator apps, Always have a scientific caculator to hand, nothing beats the actual device versus an approximation in an app.
Gotta have an ENG function, none of that SCI rubbish. Also a shift button to change the x10 exponent displayed in +/- ENG jumps - 3,6,9,12 etc.

As for Dave and his very successful marriage score, using his tried and trusted internet dating skills - he is clearly punching well beyond his weight  :-DD  Nicole His Shiela  is a scorcher! ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:22:50 pm by Macbeth »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »
Within reaching distance, I have an HP-48GX and an HP Prime Graphic Calculator with the Prime set for RPN.  I prefer the GX...

Offline Bukurat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 01:44:11 am »
Please can I refer everyone to episode #54:

It's 20 minutes long. Time mark please?

Just watch it, you can't be that busy.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2016, 02:41:54 am »
Just watched it.

Brings back memories - but my experience started a little earlier.  Tandy (Radio Shack) hadn't arrived in Australia and the kit my parents bought me was the Philips EE20.

Component purchasing was a real exercise - and I remember getting a bunch of 7400 series TTL from an American advertiser in Electronics Australia.  I had to get an international bank cheque and mail it over with my order.  I can still remember it was payable through the Chemical Bank New York, New York.

Today component purchasing is incredibly easy, impossibly cheap and unimaginably more diverse.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2016, 06:02:56 am »
I think that Dave Jones was born in 1973 +-1year. In 2002 he was 29 years old according to this article in Hills News...
I think I am a bit older. Just started dyeing my hair too :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf