Author Topic: What desoldering gun/pump is best?  (Read 25003 times)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: What desoldering gun/pump is best?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:56:28 am »
For your under $50 a decent Solder Sucker and good quality desolder braid, such as Chemwicks.

After that you need to move into pro quality equipment, ideally using a separate compressed (shop) air supply. eg the Metcal DS1 (+base), which can turn up on eBay for decent prices from time to time.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:26:46 am »
Agree with Towger. Unless you're desoldering lots, or desire to actually reuse the parts you pulled, a mains powered vacuum one isn't worth it and the cheap ones are all shit.

I usually just use Chemtronics soder wick. Big roll of it for $10 or so lasts a while. Snip the leads, heat and remove the leg, clean the hole out.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:01:20 pm »
A cheap standard spring-loaded plunger type desoldering pump is greatly augmented by a couple cm of silicone tube slipped over the tip so you have about 2-3mm extending past the desoldering tip, allows it to conform around the soldering iron.

Or just cut a notch in the tip is better than nothing.  3mm ID silicone tube fits well over the end of my pumps.

Some of the plunger pumps from China are better than others, the main problem is the O-rings in them are not necessarily a great fit sometimes, easily fixed if you have an assortment of O-rings that has a couple of better fitting ones in it.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:13:09 pm »
Hi

I got one of these
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01849/desoldering-iron-sucker/dp/SD01702

It works for me.

Note: I am not suggesting you get it from the same company.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:22:56 pm »
I never had any luck at all with those spring loaded solder suckers. Several years ago I bought a Hakko 808, it wasn't particularly cheap but it's not high end money either. It was one of the best tool investments I ever made, I find it absolutely indispensable. I'd never go back to wick and cheapo sucker tools.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 10:05:12 pm »
If you refer to non-heated 'solder suckers', I recommend the Soldapullt Successor, if still available.

On wick: besides Chemtronics, the Swiss 'Spirig' brand is decent. Also good is the 'Amasan' brand.

For very occasional heated desoldering 'on the road', there is a suction adaptor with a rubber bulb for Wellers W60/W61 temperature controlled mains voltage irons.

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:38:21 pm »
I think you are referring to the Weller DS40, i was not able to find it at a reasonable price.
The chepest I could find of this type was the ECG J-045-DS, available at amazon for ~20$.

https://www.amazon.com/ECG-J-045-DS-Electric-Soldering-Temperature/dp/B00068IJSG/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1523398995&sr=1-10&keywords=Desoldering+pump

If someone could poin out one of this that works at 220V I'll appreciate, but AFAIK I could buy one of this and mount the suction element on an old main soldering iron.

Mauro

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 12:42:13 am »
I got by for many years with the Radio Shack version of that suction bulb iron. Once I got my Hakko vacuum gun I couldn't believe how much better it was, like night and day. Some of the Chinese vacuum stations might be ok if you need lower cost.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 01:54:24 am »
I'm not referring to the DS40, which I did not know, but to a seperately sold, original Weller accessory to the Weller mains powered,  Magnastat-type controlled soldering irons. I have not recorded the article desigation, but I can ask someone. A similar accessory was once available for the TCP-type lov voltage soldering irons, which I did not mention, because stationary desoldering is better done with a real desoldering station, as others have already stated.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 02:10:21 am »

Offline TechieTX

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 02:58:38 am »
I used one of these: http://www.edsyn.com/product/AS196.html  Don't get the blue plastic one unless you're desoldering parts that don't mind a static shock.  Huh.  It's still around the same price I paid Way Back When.

I bought about 10 spare tips when I got it 20-some-odd years ago, and still have 7 or 8 tips left.  I've used the vacuum tools, and prefer my Soldapullt.  It takes a bit of practice, but I can desolder with less heat into the board/part than with the vacuum thingies.
"No matter where you go, there you are." ~BB

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 07:15:49 am »
I think you are referring to the Weller DS40, i was not able to find it at a reasonable price.
The chepest I could find of this type was the ECG J-045-DS, available at amazon for ~20$.

https://www.amazon.com/ECG-J-045-DS-Electric-Soldering-Temperature/dp/B00068IJSG/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1523398995&sr=1-10&keywords=Desoldering+pump

If someone could poin out one of this that works at 220V I'll appreciate, but AFAIK I could buy one of this and mount the suction element on an old main soldering iron.

Mauro

TME sells it and it is quite cheaper than the amazon one.
I bought it several years ago and it works reasonably well.
It is sold as separate parts: solder and sucking pump, so you can just buy spare parts as needed.
see: https://www.tme.eu/it/katalog/#search=PENSOL-SR963-OD&cleanParameters=1

Offline Barny

• Frequent Contributor
  • I'm from Austria, not Australia ;)
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 08:41:17 am »
Hi

I got one of these
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01849/desoldering-iron-sucker/dp/SD01702

It works for me.

Note: I am not suggesting you get it from the same company.
I got the same one.

Works fine for me.

When I use it to desolder heatsinks it needs a little time.
But for normal components its fast and easy.
I never ripped a solder pad when i use this nice tool.

Its cheap build but it'll do its job when you only use it from time to time.

But be aware that the cable is made of this extreme stinking plastic.
If you don't pay attention, you'll be able to damage the cable with the heated part.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 09:12:31 am »
If you're dead set on a self-contained vacuum desolder unit, you could take a look at a Gaojie S-993A (~C $135 shipped).

That said, unless you're doing a lot of joints at one go (i.e. stripping a board for parts), a manual desolder sucker and decent wick/braid win out IME. Faster and more convenient (you'll need wick anyway). I'd suggest taking a look at an Engineer SS-02 for this.  ;) Works well (size is great), and I find the silicone tip produces a better seal than the nylon tips on other manual suckers such as on an Edsyn Soldapult (you can add a bit of silicone tubing to this type).

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:46 am »
If someone could poin out one of this that works at 220V I'll appreciate
Mauro

TME sells it and it is quite cheaper than the amazon one.
see: https://www.tme.eu/it/katalog/#search=PENSOL-SR963-OD&cleanParameters=1

PERFECT!!! Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for.
For my desoldering needs is more than enouth, I personally don't like the "piston" one and the solder wick is a nigthmare on plated throw holes.
Ciao
Mauro

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 09:51:56 am »
http://nl.farnell.com/edsyn/ds017ls/desoldering-gun-antistatic/dp/835511?st=soldapullt

Easy to operate and easy to clean. Handles big blobs of solder.

For smaller stuff, SMD and to remove solder from pads and out of holes I use solder wick in different widths, 3, 2, 1 and 0.5 mm.

I had a very negative experience with an (early model) JBC desoldering station. That thing just never did what is was meant to do. It put me off desoldering irons, probably undeserved as I understand that the newer lines work great. But then they are very expensive (> €1200).

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 11:18:26 am »
I plan to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Desoldering/dp/B01N5HCZAW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523531624&sr=8-8&keywords=desoldering+gun

from Banggood/aliexpress for free shipping. It seems nice and easier to use than normal pump sticks but also very cheap (30$ is nothing compared to 100$ for this small tool).

I tried Chinese solder wick stuff but they didn't work at all, not even a little! I put up to 450 degrees soldering iron on it and the junction but still nothing happens.

Offline aabbcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 01:51:21 pm »
Had some cheapo things for 3 eur from a local shop which sucked *no pun intended*

Upgraded to a Engineer SS-02 and boy what a difference, totally worth the 25 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-SS-02-Solder-Sucker/dp/B002MJMXD4

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 02:01:22 pm »
I've just finished my first repair job using an Aoyue (I mentally pronounce it "Oi, you!") 474++ thing I bought for a hundred quid. It worked a treat. Using an iron to desolder on one of those awful FatMan itube amps was causing lots of lifted traces and PTHs that came off with the component. The PCB was really thick (2.5mm?) but the traces are barely attached and the solder mask just shatters. Horrible thing, but using the gun helped a lot.

A big thing seems to be making sure the foam filter in the gun is damp before you start and then stop every now and again to wet it, as the hot air being sucked up will dry it out fairly quickly. It definitely doesn't suck the same once it has dried out.

I have no idea how long it will last, obviously, but for now it's doing exactly what it is supposed to.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 07:27:06 pm »
I'd cut your teeth with a solder sucker and wick as well just in case you havn't already, until you are somewhat proficient at it. Learning electronics involves a certain degree of "craft" and locking down some of those core skills allows you to gloat in front of others.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 03:11:36 am »
For your under $50 a decent Solder Sucker and good quality desolder braid, such as Chemwicks.

After that you need to move into pro quality equipment, ideally using a separate compressed (shop) air supply. eg the Metcal DS1 (+base), which can turn up on eBay for decent prices from time to time.
If u have the money or the time to save more, get the electric desoldering pump.

I had to spend 30-1hr today trying to desolder a 16 pin DIP off a little PCB full of SMD stuff. I have a decent spring/pump and solder wick, but it was still hell.

Also trying to get the solder out of the via's of a big heavy PSU PCB, without a vice .....trying to get the soldering iron tip on 1 side, and the pump on the otherisde, it was hell too.

After today I'm saving for an electric desoldering gun, and hotair gun.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 05:52:32 am »
I have a decent spring/pump and solder wick, but it was still hell.

Just a question: how does solder wick works?

I tried heating it with the junction but no success at all. I bought them from Banggood.

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 07:41:18 am »
Crappy solder wick doesn't work.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 07:45:59 am »

I heated up the iron to 400-450 degrees and still doesn't work. However, reviews says it works with them, so how?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 08:02:29 am »
You get what you pay for with solder wick.  Try wetting it with IPA before use, which may resurrect any flux on it, or failing that add liquid flux.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:28 am »

I heated up the iron to 400-450 degrees and still doesn't work. However, reviews says it works with them, so how?

If you've only ever used shit wick, you never know what good wick is like.

Chemtronics or bust here.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny10

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:58 am »
Just a question: how does solder wick works?
I tried heating it with the junction but no success at all. I bought them from Banggood.

Wick is normally braided copper. When molten solder is introduced the solder will be drawn into the wick due to the capillary effect of the braids exposed surface area. The tension of the molten solder is greater towards the wick than the joint so it's drawn in.

A few things need to occur well for this to happen, the wick needs to be clean and solderable quality and there needs to be some flux in order to facilitate breaking down the oxides to draw in the solder. Once the wick becomes saturated with solder the tension is diminished so a fresh part of the wick needs to be used.

Use a decent brand wick with flux or add your own. Hold it directly on the joint and warm the wick with the iron tip and let it sink into the solder. If it doesn't you either don't have enough heat, crappy or dirty wick with defective flux. If the joint is old or badly oxidized you can freshen it with your iron and a little solder/flux which will loosen it up a little.

The same thing applies when desoldering as with soldering, you need a clean suitably sized tip with enough surface area to heat through the joint. A little solder on the tip creates a thermal bridge aiding the initial heat transfer.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:46 pm »
I would guess that a lot of the wick from places like Banggood is really poor quality, both the copper and the flux. Dipping old wick in liquid flux before use does greatly improve its performance though.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 07:17:55 pm »
servisol soldamop is my go to with a no clean flux pen for the really bad thru-hole jobs

I had some automotive pcbs that where 2mm thick boards, 90% through hole nothing would touch it, I borrowed a duratool vac/solder station and that worked fine, so I got my own - temp wise its within 5% of what it displays apart from changing the felt filters and the odd blockage its been very good for the price

Only tip I have is reflow the joint with fresh solder then use the soldamop

Offline guisveld

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 04:49:37 pm »
BRRR hate handpumps... I do a lot of desoldering. I have useds A Denon SC7000 integrated gun, a Hakko 474, An Aoyue 474 and ZD-8915. And the winner is without any doubt the ZD-8915. Tips and other parts are cheap, suction is powerfull, heating power is great. Not the best build quality, but, again without any doubt, the best performance. Put a dime in the barrell halfway the spring to catch most of the solder. And for all these type of stations: Let them fully heat up for at least 5 minutes. This will prevent clogging. And use Hakko filters and tin the tips! The price range is/was for the Hakko 474 around 700 euro. and you can get the ZD-8915 for 70 Euros: https://www.bifelectronic.com/gb/reworking-desoldering/2416-zd8915-bif.html.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 02:03:32 am »
I have made a couple of desoldering guns, from the iron with the suction bulb attached. Below is an example - Not mine. They can be made DIY for $50, easy, assuming that you have a few of the parts laying around. Here are my design tips...

Buy the hottest iron, you can find. The same iron design comes in different fixed heats, depending on the maker. This one from Amazon was the hottest 120v I could find, but not the cheapest. Get the hottest. https://www.amazon.com/ECG-J-045-DS-Electric-Soldering-Temperature/dp/B00068IJSG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1541381154&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=desoldering+pump+bulb
I used a Radio Shack brand, for one, but they went out of business.

Get an iron that has replaceable tips. The one from Amazon does have replaceable tips.

Remove the bulb and shorten the bulb tube. You want it short as possible, but long enough to keep the filter off of the iron.

Use a short piece of automotive grade/heat-rated silicone tube to attach a metal, 1/4", small engine, fuel filter to the bulb tube. Remove the filter guts and put in a little piece of brass sponge. Do not get a fuel filter that has a center tube.

Use automotive grade/heat rated silicone tube, going from the filter to the pump. Leave the tube long, maybe 24", to keep heat from reaching the pump.

Add a switch system. You want the iron to stay on continuously. But, you only want the suction to operate during the removal process. The problem with leaving the pump running all the time is that the air cools the iron tip. I made a foot switch using a voltage regulator and a solid state relay.

I used nebulizer pumps. They are cheap, at the secondhand/thrift stores. And, it is easy to change them from blowing to sucking, by swapping those lines.

Watch YouTube videos on how to use a desoldering gun. There are a few tricks.

These work well for me. I would not hesitate to make another one.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 06:16:42 am »
Using the hottest iron you can find is a great way to destroy PCBs. You want an iron that is temperature controlled, with adequate power behind it but not excessively hot.

Really though when you can buy a decent Chinese desoldering station for under $100, why screw around trying to build something that isn't as good?

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 07:56:54 am »
Using the hottest iron you can find is a great way to destroy PCBs. You want an iron that is temperature controlled, with adequate power behind it but not excessively hot.
You are taking me out of context. The hottest you can find of this type of iron. The hottest I have ever seen is only 45w. This certainly will not be dangerously hot... Unless you leave it attached, too long... Which is why I suggested getting the instruction tips, for using it.

Really though when you can buy a decent Chinese desoldering station for under $100, why screw around trying to build something that isn't as good?
Because he has $50, not $100. For some people, they can only afford to do, what they can afford to do.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 04:45:30 pm »
Wattage is not a measure of temperature, there's a reason those old fashioned non-controlled irons are called firesticks.

Even if one works a minimum wage job, spending $100 on a decent tool that works well is likely a better deal than spending $50 and some time building something inferior. I used one of those suction bulb irons for years, hooking it to a vacuum pump was an improvement but it's still no comparison to a real desoldering station. If I could have bought one then as cheap as they are now I would have just bought one.

Offline noname4me

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 09:50:55 pm »
Goot GS-150

Use at work... liked it so much bought one for myself

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Martin Miranda

• Regular Contributor
  • ~~Work: Electronics~~, ~~Hobby: Electronics~~
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2022, 06:39:00 am »
  :-/O
its rare for local auction house to bid for electronics tools. but when i do. i always look for desoldering equipment. i tried the chinesum solder pumps but it breaks frequently, i have these for a couple of years now.

beach, sun and the island i call home.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOspWWciGGyF5NwmeVT_mWA

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2022, 06:50:10 am »
I got one of those from aliexpress yesterday, still needs a month to arrive: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Desoldering/dp/B06XP7C1V1

I think I got 2 of them for about 54$ including shipping.

anyone tried these?

I don't want them for heavy duty desoldering but rather occasional work. I hate the manual pump which is user with my soldering iron, I have only 2 hands anyway. and the full electrical automatic pump sucker is kinda expensive for me right now.

Offline rpiloverbd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2022, 11:47:44 am »
Hakko FR-301 is good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf