Author Topic: What do old electrolytic capacitors smell like?  (Read 14666 times)

Offline smbakerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Scott's Electronics & Sandrail & Old BBS Game Blog
What do old electrolytic capacitors smell like?
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:22:07 am »
I was going through boxes in the garage last week, and I have this plastic container of miscellaneous stuff that I bought on ebay about 15 years ago. It's been sealed for that time. Pretty good seal, though probably not air tight.

Upon opening the lid, I'm assaulted by an overwhelming odor that's somewhere between urine and dead animal. Visible in the container, among other things, are four large (2" diameter, 6" tall, blue, with screw terminals on the top) electrolytics.  Probably NOS from the 80s. Are those what's stinking up the container so badly? Or did a mouse go MIA 15 years ago?

I'm too scared to open it up and find out for sure what it is. Maybe if I had some hazmat gear. Or an exorcist. Something.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
Re: What do old electrolytic capacitors smell like?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:38:31 am »
Smell is hard to put into words.  If you have a spare capacitor, you can always "cook" one to see how it smells.

I learn that smell when I mistakenly put 30V into a 10V capacitor.  I did not do that intentionally.  If you are to do that internationally, take all safety measures and make sure you use a power source with current limit.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:08:29 am »
I have heard that blown caps smell like fish or cat pee.  I do know for sure, but I do know that SWMBO has been pissed when I have popped a cap in the past.  That's good enough for me.  The smell is truly unique and unforgettable.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:29 am »
So tip it out on an old newspaper on the drive and if its got mummified vermin, and the stuff cant be or isn't worth decontaminating with neat bleach, bin-bag it!

Mind you, that vintage caps smelled pretty sick if you blew them, even when brand new

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:45:30 am »
It's easy to tell if old caps are still good, when you throw them in the trash can if they make a sound they are bad. :)
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 02:03:48 am »
bad... very, very bad.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:08:29 am »
I was going through boxes in the garage last week, and I have this plastic container of miscellaneous stuff that I bought on ebay about 15 years ago. It's been sealed for that time. Pretty good seal, though probably not air tight.

Upon opening the lid, I'm assaulted by an overwhelming odor that's somewhere between urine and dead animal. Visible in the container, among other things, are four large (2" diameter, 6" tall, blue, with screw terminals on the top) electrolytics.  Probably NOS from the 80s. Are those what's stinking up the container so badly? Or did a mouse go MIA 15 years ago?

I'm too scared to open it up and find out for sure what it is. Maybe if I had some hazmat gear. Or an exorcist. Something.
That is an apt description...
Add a few drops of male cat urine and you have it...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 02:50:07 am »
bad... very, very bad.

I know it sounds bad, But I work on and restore a lot of vintage equipment and when one of these old caps short out and destroy an unreplaceable  part than what.
I would rather them make a clunk when they hit the trash can (recycle bin) than ruin something. most caps are cheap why take a chance. (reforming doesn't work 90% of the time) If they are over 5 years old they should be checked very carefully, any older toss them.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 02:51:41 am »
I've had clear plastic coated silver cap's that, when shaken, had a thud sound inside. Curious as ever, I opened one to find it mostly dried-out. If in doubt, "Smash it! Hit it with a hammer and trash it!" Sonny Bono, cira 1970's on Luv Boat. (yeah I know, kinda sounds sick now..)

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 02:59:56 am »
there are of course exceptions to what I posted, I have worked with high quality equipment that have been in service for 20+years and are still working fine. But that is the exception rather than the rule.
Let the flames begin.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 08:02:59 am »
60s and early 70s electrolytics tend to smell of poo when opened. If one explodes you find the contents have a matching brown colour. Newer ones tend to smell more like rotting fish, so presumably amines are released by whatever witch's potion is in them. The inside are much paler in colour, too.

Offline Electric flower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:18 pm »
Long time ago I was dissasembleing electrolytic caps just for kicks and curiosity and it were some used caps from 90s TVs, mostly powersupplies and it smelled like sugary piss mixed with acetone (70/30 ratio to be exact), and if you get it on your hands it doesen't  just wash away with water...
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All play and no work makes Jack a mere toy.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:56 pm »
it smelled like sugary piss mixed with acetone (70/30 ratio to be exact)
:-DD :-DD
Pretty desciptive, but I am not going to verify the ratio myself  :-DD

Offline BurningTantalum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 11:02:59 am »
When I started work in an R&D lab (1974) we used to connect 6,800uF 25V electrolytics to a variac with a diode and crank it up with the cap hanging over the window ledge- the bang was impressive, as was the stink and miasma. The building site opposite was kept amused by these japes.

Older and wiser BT.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 01:35:02 pm »
I'm too scared to open it up and find out for sure what it is.

Don't be scared. Be curious. Open it and you will know.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 01:55:31 pm »
+1
It cant be significantly worse than finding last week's dog turd in a little baggie on a hot day the hard way!  Just do it outside and let it 'breathe' for a while before tipping it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf