Author Topic: What does the star mean in a schematic  (Read 4910 times)

Offline HappyBananaTopic starter

What does the star mean in a schematic
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:21:00 pm »
Hello,
excuse me if this is a stupid question, but google isn't turning up any helpful results. What does a * mean in a pin number on a schematic? I am looking over a ATSAMD21 board from adafruit (https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/assets/000/028/801/original/adafruit_products_M0SCHEM.png?1448656357) and both pins 18 and 17 have a star next to them and another number. What is the meaning of this?
Thanks,
Tyler

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: What does the star mean in a schematic
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »
This is specific to Eagle. It indicates multiple physical pins or pads are assigned to that pin on the schematic. Most tools won't do this (which is depressing when you have six or more pairs of power and ground pins).

Offline HappyBananaTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 08:32:00 pm »
Must you connect all the pins then? For example pin 18, 35, and 42 are all ground pins. Would I be fine if I only connected pin 35 to GND? I would think they would be connected internally.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 08:34:20 pm »
They may or may not, the chip's datasheet would tell you about that. If in doubt better to connect them all.

Offline Signal32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 08:35:52 pm »
It indicates multiple physical pins or pads are assigned to that pin on the schematic.
What does this mean exactly?
On the schematic you can see 17*2 goes to 3V3. Then on the right 2 goes to the XTAL.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 08:37:41 pm »
Must you connect all the pins then? For example pin 18, 35, and 42 are all ground pins. Would I be fine if I only connected pin 35 to GND? I would think they would be connected internally.

Yes, you must connect them all.

It indicates multiple physical pins or pads are assigned to that pin on the schematic.
On the schematic you can see 17*2 goes to 3V3. Then on the right 2 goes to the XTAL.

Not pin 2, 2 pins.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 11:07:03 pm »
thats what it means... some chips have 4 pins or more for GND on all of its edges....
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 06:44:16 am »
Here is the datasheet for SAM D 21, and at paragraph 5.2.1 (page 26) there is the pinout for the SAM D21 G in QFN (as used by Adafruit): http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42181-SAM-D21_Datasheet.pdf
There are indeed 2 pins on VDDIO (17 and 36), but only 3 are designated as GND (18, 35, 42). Where's the supposed fourth one? (GNDANA at pin 5 is reported separately in the schematic)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 12:00:15 pm »
Here is the datasheet for SAM D 21, and at paragraph 5.2.1 (page 26) there is the pinout for the SAM D21 G in QFN (as used by Adafruit): http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42181-SAM-D21_Datasheet.pdf
There are indeed 2 pins on VDDIO (17 and 36), but only 3 are designated as GND (18, 35, 42). Where's the supposed fourth one? (GNDANA at pin 5 is reported separately in the schematic)

It's a QFN. There's a massive pad on the bottom.

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf