Author Topic: What is a Hameg HM650 and Kikusui COS 5060 worth + what does Ch3 do?  (Read 9202 times)

Offline dentakuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What does Ch3 do on the Kikusui COS 5060? It seems to be fixed at 0.1V/DIV.

There's a tiny 4 line text only add in a local paper for someone selling a Hameg HM650 and a Kikusui COS 5060 but without a price so I'm not sure if the person knows anything about them. I'm not sure what they're worth either, but if they come with probes it might be worth the 2 hour drive to check them out.
At the moment all I have is an old B&K I got for $40.
Online prices for something like this aren't very useful because sometimes prices are 4 times what people will realistically want to pay for them so the most expensive ones stay on auction sites forever making people think that's what they're worth.

The Hameg looks quite useful for someone like me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:23:35 am by dentaku »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What is a Hameg HM650 and Kikusui COS 5060 worth + what does Ch3 do?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »
http://www.kikusui.co.jp/manuals/index_e.php?GROUP=COS&skip=11

I know, read the manual :)

It's not the most instructive thing I've ever read. So it's just a fancy external trigger connector?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:48:31 am »
Well, that Hameg HM650 just seems like it was such a good scope for it's time and something about it just feels nicer than the Kikusui COS5060.
The guy eventually settled on $400 for both but I don't need more than one so I might drive all the way there tomorrow since I doesn't look like I have to go to work and I'll buy the Hameg.

I've never owned proper scope probes either so it makes it worth the long drive. I like visiting that remote part of the province anyway.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:42:25 am by dentaku »

Offline Swake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:17:43 am »
$200 for an 'old' 60Mhz Scope seems a lot of money. The Hameg brand has good reputation but you should be able to find better that budget. Or lower the price
3 months ago I purchased a Fluke/Philips 4 channel 100MHz scope for 160€(about $200) in excellent condition.
When it fits stop using the hammer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:33:15 am »
$200 for an 'old' 60Mhz Scope seems a lot of money. The Hameg brand has good reputation but you should be able to find better that budget. Or lower the price
3 months ago I purchased a Fluke/Philips 4 channel 100MHz scope for 160€(about $200) in excellent condition.

Around here it's quite a find and considering how remote the place I got it from is it's just lucky that I found it.
I bought it this morning and it's nice to have a scope with a crisp trace and real probes.
My old B&K has crusty switches, a half broken probe and the other "probe" is a BNC with some antenna coax and alligator clips :)

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:02 am »
I am sure you will be very satisfied.
HM650 is an excellent analog osciloscope, perhaps one of the best manufactured by HAMEG.

They are not as reliable as Tektronix or an HP one, but they are easy to repair with readily available components.

If you have some trouble, look first for bad solders and interrupted diode in bridge rectifier of the power supply.

The component tester is very useful for troubleshooting and once you have learned to use it well, you can not live without it.

There is no true dual time base, it has only a variable delay.
It is not as good because of higher jitter, but it is usable.

It is very easy to use and syncronization is particularly good.

Buy a counter and connect it to the BNC output of the vertical amplifier available at the rear of the unit for accurate reading of the frequency.
Enjoy. :-+

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:34:27 pm »
I am sure you will be very satisfied.
HM650 is an excellent analog oscilloscope, perhaps one of the best manufactured by HAMEG.

Here's what it looked like before I cleaned it. It was well taken care of.

Questions, if you've ever used analog Hameg scopes before.
- The two CAL ports are a tiny bit larger than a banana port but not as deep. I wonder if they're proprietary or if they have a name?
 They have a tiny metal hole at the back that's the size of 22AWG solid breadboard jumper wire.

- I got 2 Kikusui probes with it (960BNC Probe). They're probably from the Kikusui COS 5060 and the little ground clips don't look like they're removable. Did they used to make probes with clips that could never be changed?

I guess it's time to look at W2AEW's Youtube channel to watch the videos about Hold Off and such. My old scope was so bad I didn't bother learning really learning about it :)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 07:32:21 pm »
Found this old thread... Not sure what a Kikusui 5060 is worth, but I just bought one for a friend for $60 off a local Kijiji listing, and I think it's a good beginner scope for him. Here's my video demo:

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:46:50 pm »
Found this old thread... Not sure what a Kikusui 5060 is worth, but I just bought one for a friend for $60 off a local Kijiji listing, and I think it's a good beginner scope for him. Here's my video demo:

I wish I would have bought the Kiusui instead of the Hameg because I've had problems with it but the old man selling them wanted too much for the Kikusui.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf