Author Topic: What is going on with these resistors?  (Read 11396 times)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: What is going on with these resistors?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »
Those resistors are next to a transformer. You sure your not measuring the coil winding too? Unsolder both leads of the resistors and check. Also I see a transistor with heat sink, check that with diode setting on your meter.

Will
They are certainly connected to the MOSFET source (of emitter if those are BJT). But he got zero reading from unsoldered one. While getting different reading without zeroing. That's really strange.

Offline diesel_508Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 05:08:48 pm »
Those resistors are next to a transformer. You sure your not measuring the coil winding too? Unsolder both leads of the resistors and check. Also I see a transistor with heat sink, check that with diode setting on your meter.

Will
I will de solder and completely remove the resistor, the transistors all seem to be fine.
Let me elaborate, the tv only comes on now and again and when it does it fine for 10 mins at which point the tv will cut off and go into front light flashing (not standby light btw just a front light) starting to come on mode as i i call it. Most attempts after a cut out will just lead to the flashing light mode.
With the back off there is an over norm audible sound coming from the transformer you see in the picture.
I took a few measurements and the rest is on hear.
Also re-flowed some of the old looking and possibly cracked solider joints not took any voltages from the power as the only few times its been on is after i have tinkered and thought i have fixed it.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 05:12:03 pm »
That rather sounds like dead electrolytic capacitor. Aren't there some with bulged top?

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 05:13:13 pm »
there is also a shorted diode just front of the resistors,  with no marking whatsoever  :--

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »
That rather sounds like dead electrolytic capacitor. Aren't there some with bulged top?
Yes there was but i swapped them out  |O

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 05:15:11 pm »
Did you swap not bulged ones?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »
I'm going to the store so answer myself. If you didn't, then you have more capacitors to go. Including small ones on mains side.

Offline trackman44

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 05:26:53 pm »
Ya, when the transformer starts to buzz, you have leaky caps to contend with. Replace any caps in circuit with said transformer. Also replace those resistors, those measurements are out of tolerance. Don't forget to check the transistor too.

Will
How 'bout them Maple Leafs?

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 05:31:13 pm »
Ya, when the transformer starts to buzz, you have leaky caps to contend with. Replace any caps in circuit with said transformer. Also replace those resistors, those measurements are out of tolerance. Don't forget to check the transistor too.

Will
Iv added a picture of full board in case its any help.
Not sure how to check transformer.
Also still unsure about the value of the resistors.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »

Will
Don't replace resistors. What out of tolerance? That multimeter can barely measure them. Multimeter tolerance is more than half of the resistor value. So it can measure something like burned/not burned. Not any tolerance at close. And contact resistance itself...

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 05:49:32 pm »

Will
Don't replace resistors. What out of tolerance? That multimeter can barely measure them. Multimeter tolerance is more than half of the resistor value. So it can measure something like burned/not burned. Not any tolerance at close. And contact resistance itself...
And what about this? looks like a diode to me??? and if it is its short for sure.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 06:00:59 pm »
It is difficult to make out, but it looks like a ferrite bead choke to me. Just a piece of ferrite with a wire running through it, its purpose is to stop fast switched current edges (noisy radio frequency glitches) propagating back along the circuit.

In >30 years of repairing things, I can't remember ever replacing a resistor that went low resistance when it failed. That's not to say I never have, of course, but the failure mechanism in resistors tends to make that unlikely.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 06:42:52 pm »
Resistors rarely fail short, almost always they go smoky and open circuit, unless you have a wirewound one with no core ( heater element) which goes short circuit before it blows open. That is a ferrite bead on a wire, it does a pretty good imitation of a wire at DC, and appears as a very lossy resistor at RF. the set shutting down with time means more faulty caps, likely on the inverter board or the main board along with the power supply. Bulging is not always an indication, you need to measure ESR and decide, or if they are made by Mr OHLo then replace on sight. If Lelon definitely so.

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 06:47:29 pm »
It is difficult to make out, but it looks like a ferrite bead choke to me. Just a piece of ferrite with a wire running through it, its purpose is to stop fast switched current edges (noisy radio frequency glitches) propagating back along the circuit.

In >30 years of repairing things, I can't remember ever replacing a resistor that went low resistance when it failed. That's not to say I never have, of course, but the failure mechanism in resistors tends to make that unlikely.
Thanks for that mate really appreciate it.
And to everyone else learned some useful stuff for future ref.
Gonna leave the resistors and choke thing and go with testing the transformer the replacing the caps on the same rail to follow.
Really am grateful guys  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Offline trackman44

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 07:41:53 pm »
Put a 1amp constant current source through the resistors in question and measure the voltage, you should read anything between 142.5mV and 157.5mV (for them to be within tolerance). Also, more than likely, you just need to replace some bad leaky caps. An ESR meter would help find the culprits. Good luck with the repair.

Will
How 'bout them Maple Leafs?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »
Maybe it is a choke, maybe diode (shorted). Cant tell from such picture. If it is black tube around the wire, it is a choke. If it is plastic cylinder and with marking - diode.

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 09:15:43 pm »
Maybe it is a choke, maybe diode (shorted). Cant tell from such picture. If it is black tube around the wire, it is a choke. If it is plastic cylinder and with marking - diode.
black tube around the wire   :-+

Offline Avotronics

• Regular Contributor
    • Rigol Hacks
What is going on with these resistors?
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 09:26:50 pm »
Resistors are fine and normal configuration on SMPS in TVs.
Choke looks just like a scottky diode, except its got no markings we can see.
Scottky will read both ways also, you need to stick your mete on diode mode and test both ways. BUT, I'd says its probably choke given we can't see any markings.

Lads have already told you right, its 90% chance its electrolytic capacitors.
Don't assume that because the caps look okay that they are okay. Most of TVs I repair with bad caps, look fine.
If you haven't an esr meter and the caps test okay on cap test on meter, you'll either have to buy a cheap esr meter or just replace the caps regardless.

Those TV power boards nearly always use crap caps to save a few pence... or rather, to make sure the TV doesn't last too long!
Why would you buy something ready made when you can make it yourself with half the features for twice the money!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf