Author Topic: What is that kit like substance on capacitors?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline TonnTopic starter

• Contributor
What is that kit like substance on capacitors?
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:01:50 pm »
Hi,

Teardown videos by Dave Jones on Youtube show a kit like substance having been applied to electrolytic capacitors of power supplies.
He calls it sillicacet(?) and it's applied with a hot glue gun.

Could someone please explain to me what that substance is and it's purpose?

Thanks.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: What is that kit like substance on capacitors?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:06:20 pm »
Dave refers to it as "hot snot" its generally a thermosoftening glue, and in reality very similar to a high temperature hot glue guns hobby stores sell,

Its purpose is mechanical support for heavy components, so impacts and vibration do not rip them off the board,

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:32:13 pm »
Hi,

Teardown videos by Dave Jones on Youtube show a kit like substance having been applied to electrolytic capacitors of power supplies.
He calls it sillicacet(?) and it's applied with a hot glue gun.

I'm not sure what word you were looking for but I suspect that "kit" isn't it.

Silastic is the trade name for a room temperature vulcanizing (RTV) silicone rubber adhesive but gets used as a generic term in the same way that "Hoover" does. It's there to stabilize components that don't have significant or sufficient integral mechanical support from being affected by vibration and the like.

??kit 1 |kit|
noun
1 a set of articles or equipment needed for a specific purpose : a first-aid kit.
• a set of all the parts needed to assemble something : an aircraft kit.
• Brit. the clothing and other items belonging to a soldier or used in an activity such as a sport : boys in football kit.
2 chiefly Brit. a large basket, box, or other container, esp. for fish.
verb [ trans. ] ( kit someone/something out/up) (usu. be kitted out/up) chiefly Brit.
provide someone or something with the appropriate clothing or equipment : we were all kitted out in life jackets.
ORIGIN Middle English : from Middle Dutch kitte ‘wooden vessel,’ of unknown origin. The original sense [wooden tub] was later applied to other containers; the use denoting a soldier's equipment (late 18th cent.) probably arose from the idea of a set of articles packed in a container.
kit 2
noun
the young of certain animals, such as the beaver, fox, ferret, and mink.
• informal term for kitten .
kit 3
noun historical
a small violin, esp. one used by a dancing master.
ORIGIN early 16th cent.: perhaps from Latin cithara (see cittern ).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:23:31 am »
Thanks very much,
Silastic is exactly what I was looking for.

(As for the word kit: I talk to co-workers in four different languages, so I mixed up. The word paste would have been better.)

Offline ziplock9000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:08 pm »

Silastic is the trade name for a room temperature vulcanizing (RTV) silicone rubber adhesive but gets used as a generic term in the same way that "Hoover" does. It's there to stabilize components that don't have significant or sufficient integral mechanical support from being affected by vibration and the like.

Can you recommend a cheap source in the UK. When I look it's always those huge kits that are extremely expensive.

Ignore that. As soon as I looked again I found stuff MUCH cheaper.. Sod's law.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:24:40 pm by ziplock9000 »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:52:53 pm »
Hi Ziplock9000,

Would you please share your find with us?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:15:41 am by Tonn »

Offline ziplock9000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 02:29:50 am »
Hi Ziplock9000,

Would please share your find with us?
Sure. Just use the waterproofing stuff for bathroom fittings. It's the same stuff, much cheaper and comes in larger volumes.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTV-Instant-Gasket-Maker-Silicone-Rubber-Adhesive-Sealant-300g-Cartridge-CLEAR-/320910179556?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:20:32 am »
Hi Ziplock9000,

Would please share your find with us?
Sure. Just use the waterproofing stuff for bathroom fittings. It's the same stuff, much cheaper and comes in larger volumes.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTV-Instant-Gasket-Maker-Silicone-Rubber-Adhesive-Sealant-300g-Cartridge-CLEAR-/320910179556?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

Beware that if you use builder's/plumber's silicone you must get the neutral-cure version not the more common acetoxy-cure. The acetoxy-cure version releases acetic acid as it cures which is obviously very bad news on a circuit board. If it doesn't say "neutral cure", assume it isn't.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, tooki, ziplock9000

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:38:59 pm »
The stuff I use is Dow Corning 744, which is designed for use on electronics/electrical items.

Last time I bought some it came from Rapid and it lasts ages.  If you cap the end with a bag or such like between uses (i.e. next day) then just pull the small plug (few mm long) out the end out and you're ready to go.  As long as it's a reasonable seal it will be fine.

https://www.rapidonline.com/dow-corning-744-silicone-adhesive-white-310ml-87-1228

Offline ziplock9000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:57:50 pm »
The stuff I use is Dow Corning 744, which is designed for use on electronics/electrical items.

Last time I bought some it came from Rapid and it lasts ages.  If you cap the end with a bag or such like between uses (i.e. next day) then just pull the small plug (few mm long) out the end out and you're ready to go.  As long as it's a reasonable seal it will be fine.

https://www.rapidonline.com/dow-corning-744-silicone-adhesive-white-310ml-87-1228
16 quid.. Haway I'm not that fancy!  :-DD

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 07:14:24 pm »

16 quid.. Haway I'm not that fancy!  :-DD

Well you can get it other places too.  I bought my last tube on 7 Jan 2016 and it's still going, just part of a large order from Rapid.  It's great stuff designed for the job and doesn't seem to go off by itself like some.  I think they do smaller tubes too, depends on how much you need to use.

The following users thanked this post: ziplock9000

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 12:18:53 am »
@jc101: Thanks for referencing "Dow Corning 744".
There is a 90ml tube on the market and I'll give it a try.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 04:54:27 pm »
Store in a ziploc bad, placed inside some genuine tupperware with a moisture absorbing sachet there as well, and place in the fridge between uses. Lasts a lot longer that way, keeping the silicone away from oxygen and moisture helps it stay usable longer.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 06:24:29 pm »
@SeanB, thanks very much. I'll do that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf