Author Topic: What is the radiation impedance for a quarter-wave antenna?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline eecookTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm working on a design, and i cannot do an impedance matching network if I dont get this straight. I started looking it up on google, and I wasn't satisfied with any information I found. So I downloaded "Antenna Theory, Design and Analysis" by Balanis and, "Practical Antenna Handbook" by Carr. There seems to be a significant mismatch in the information.
I am trying to get the radiation impedance for a quarter-wave monopole antenna, it says...

...Balanis (p. 155)

It gives a formula where I get:

Z = 49.35 - j 12.73

...Carr (p. 183)

"...the feedpoint radiation resistance is a maximum of 37 ?, with only a very small reactance component." (for the quarter-wave)

He points it out once again in p. 184 showing a plot of Resistance/Reactance vs. antenna length.

Note:
I lack the knowledge to derive this from first principles and the experience working with RF. Good reference material suggestions are welcomed!

Cheers!

Simon.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:23:33 pm by eecook »
Nullius in verba

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
Re: What is the radiation impedance for a quarter-wave antenna?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »
As you have already presented in your post. Approx 35-37 ohms at the resonant freq.  This figure can be raised to 50  ohms by using the antenna not cut not exactly at resonance(longer) or with 45-deg. downward pointing radials at the base.
 The closer a 1/4 wave antenna is to earth surface ground, the sloppier the exact impedance and match to the transmitter. This is one reason why a 1/4 wave antenna is called a sky-stick, it works best when elevated and surrounded by a ground plane or multiple radials at the base. if these radials are pointing downward at a 45 degrees angle, the effect will be to raise the antenna feed impedance to 50 ohms.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:03:53 pm »
Thank you very much Paul. Is there any book you recommend?
Nullius in verba

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »
The Radio Amateurs Handbook.

Tons of stuff posted on the web by electrical engineering professors, RF engineers, ham radio operators etc.  Some of it is actually useful.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:00:18 pm by Paul Price »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:37:03 pm »
Above a perfect ground plane it should (in theory) be half the impedance of a half wave dipole.

Therefore, the impedance of the quarter wave monopole should be about (36.5 + j21) ohms. If you trim the aerial for resonance I think it will then measure about (32 +j0) ohms.

But this is in theory, and over a perfect ground. In reality you will see something a bit different due to imperfect ground etc.

Offline Fank1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:45:11 pm »
FYI:
Radiation impedance is not the same thing as feed point impedance.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:28 pm »
I'm assuming that eecook really just wants to design an impedance matching network so he really just wants to know the feedpoint impedance and work back from there...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:22:31 pm »
Thank you all,

Ok so I'm guessing the feed-point impedance is Zfeed=Zx+Zr, where Zr is the radiation impedance and Zx is, what exactly?

This is for a quarter-wave antenna, a piece of wire prependicular to the pcb, using the pcb's ground plane. The ground plane has some cut outs and drill holes, how is that going to affect the feed-point and radiation impedance?

cheers,

Simon.

NOTE: this is for a wifi application at 2.4GHz
Nullius in verba

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »
what ever happen to the term "Open Air or Free Air Impedance"  around 317 ohms in open air? 
Recharged Volt-Nut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »
what ever happen to the term "Open Air or Free Air Impedance"  around 317 ohms in open air?

It is a different concept, Radiation Impedance relates the Voltage and Current at the feed-point (assuming no loss), Free Air Impedance relates the E and H  far fields.
Nullius in verba

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf