Author Topic: What is the white powder inside computer IEC power cords?  (Read 9064 times)

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: What is the white powder inside computer IEC power cords?
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 10:35:39 pm »
I'm no MD but from there to the ovaries? what were they doing?

You don't need to be an MD to read about the anatomy.   There is no parietum (i.e., wall) between a female's ovaries, her vagina, or her skin. Ovaries --> fallopian tubes --> uterus --> vagina --> (you guess the rest)  Or, just think of how babies and made and reverse it.

Without wanting to get into too deep into anatomy, there is no natural migratory path for foreign substances like talc to get from the outside to the inside of the female reproductive apparatus. The vagina is a self-cleaning system with a constant flow of mucus sweeping foreign objects like microbes, dirt or bacteria from the inside to the outside.

Any supposed connection between the external application of feminine hygiene products and a pathology of the ovaries has to be tenuous at best.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I didn't say it was likely.   I said there is no physical barrier.   I don't know if you have ever witnessed an American trial with dueling "expert witnesses."  That is, a plaintiff or defendant can find an "expert" who will testify to anything.   A general consensus among trial attorneys is that you have to have those witnesses, but ultimately they have little influence on the jury's decision.   And in most cases involving strong emotion (like a disabled child) the jury's decision is based on emotion and a bias against the "big, rich companies."  Of course, those cases get appealed and the final outcome is usually a negotiated settlement.

Now as for "cleansing," how do sperm get all the way from the vagina to the ovaries to cause an occasional tubular or ovarian pregnancy?

they swim, so unless asbestos fibers grow a tail and start swimming I'd say it is bollocks ;)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 10:39:37 pm »
Now as for "cleansing," how do sperm get all the way from the vagina to the ovaries to cause an occasional tubular or ovarian pregnancy?
According to Rose Nylund, by mail!! (Sorry, just watched that episode yesterday. :p)

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 11:19:18 pm »

they swim, so unless asbestos fibers grow a tail and start swimming I'd say it is bollocks ;)

Such motility might be a factor that assists, but it is not necessary.   Please explain how Neisseria gonorrhoea frequently infects upper parts of the female reproductive system.

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:14 am »
Geez Louis, I never envisioned things getting this funny.. What a lark  :-DD

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
    • This is where you end up when you die...
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:35 am »
The powder is for reducing the friction between the insulated cores and outer sheaths, often useful when you have to strip cables with multiple cores in a specific way. I've also seen it in some alarm cables, so this isn't restricted to just mains cords. It really depends on the surface area of the core insulation vs sheath insulation and up to the manufacturer, since this also stops the cores sticking to each other and improves the flexibility of the cable.

A lot of cables also have a string in them, it allows you to strip large sections of the sheath off cleanly reducing the risk of nicking the insulation of the cores. Very handy with cables like Cat6, though I've rarely seen this in mains and security cables.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 01:28:19 am »
Such motility might be a factor that assists, but it is not necessary.   Please explain how Neisseria gonorrhoea frequently infects upper parts of the female reproductive system.
That's bacteria --- a living thing that grows and moves. Asbestos is not, and does not reproduce.

Anyway I wouldn't mind the talc. Just do as you would with any fine particulate and don't inhale it...

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 02:01:46 am »
J&J have a long history of tainted products and medical device recalls,
a couple a year on average!!

i could believe just about anything if they are involved.

With an outrageous claim like that, please present your evidence for the last 5 years.  That is, 10 recalls for serious matters.  NB: Medical devices are particularly prone to recalls for such things as typos and blurred printing on labels.  I some cases, the products can just be relabeled.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=johnson%26johnson+recall&kp=-1&kl=wt-wt&kv=1&kh=1&ia=web

Offline Karlo_Moharic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 11:13:43 am »
It's magic ferry dust

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 11:25:53 am »
It's magic ferry dust
Aye! How dare you abscond with Simon's face..  :-DD

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 12:45:50 pm »

Anyway I wouldn't mind the talc. Just do as you would with any fine particulate and don't inhale it...

This is the real on topic message for this thread. 

The hazard from this substance in this application is really, really small.  Don't do anything stupid and you will be fine.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 03:44:04 pm »
The powder is for reducing the friction between the insulated cores and outer sheaths, often useful when you have to strip cables with multiple cores in a specific way. I've also seen it in some alarm cables, so this isn't restricted to just mains cords. It really depends on the surface area of the core insulation vs sheath insulation and up to the manufacturer, since this also stops the cores sticking to each other and improves the flexibility of the cable.

A lot of cables also have a string in them, it allows you to strip large sections of the sheath off cleanly reducing the risk of nicking the insulation of the cores. Very handy with cables like Cat6, though I've rarely seen this in mains and security cables.
It also improves heat transfer through the insulation, cooling it down better and perform a bit better keeping overheating insulation in shape.

The vagina is a self-cleaning system with a constant flow of mucus sweeping foreign objects like microbes, dirt or bacteria from the inside to the outside.
So are the lungs... yet asbestos (thanks!) is proven to cause lung cancer. As far as i understood it, the whole process is not fully researched, but so far those fibres themselves penetrate and tangle in tissue, are unable to be moved out by self cleaning processes the body has and do themselves not react with the tissue. Yet the bodys reaction to it means it gets coated in the remains of antibodies, the tissue scars and the regular irritation somehow causes the development of cancer. This can take 20 years, maybe less if there is constant exposure of asbestos, adding it up.
The skin is usually not affected, it probably does not penetrate deep enough and skin rubs off all the time, mucus membranes do not in that form (not all of it? at least not as effective).

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:20:48 pm by SparkyFX »
Support your local planet.

Offline Tedro

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 10:25:23 pm »
WTF are "Ovaries"?  ??? :o ??? :o

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 11:35:58 am »

roughly the female equivalent to testicles, storing eggs rather than sperm

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 04:11:52 pm »

:palm:  I fear for the continuation of the Human Species.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:41:34 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: langwadt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf