Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline supercar14Topic starter

What is this?
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:09:51 am »
Hi all. I'm new to the electronics hobby and just recently got a soldering kit and started scrapping stuff for parts. I was recently taking apart an old CRT monitor (don't know the make or year) and found this.

I'm thinking it's some kind of inductor but there was no designator on the board. I've never seen anything like it before. If anyone knows what it is I would be most appreciative.

Thanks  :)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 05:34:41 am »
Yes, it is an inductor.  The several wires twisted together are a high-current form of "Litz-wire", which is used to handle high currents at high frequencies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire
It would have been helpful to see down inside the middle.  It may be hollow, or it may have an adjustable "slug" to "tune" it, or it may have a rod of ferrite as a core.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_core

It seems possible it came from somewhere in the horizontal sweep circuit, or perhaps in a switch-mode power supply (SMPS).

Offline supercar14Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:55:56 am »
Didn't even think to look in the middle. Yes it does have a slot in each end for an allen key. I'm not too familiar with how the old crt's work, so I don't really know what the board it was on was (I suppose I should have taken some pictures before I took it apart). It wasn't off the main board or with any power components, it just had some caps and resistors on it.

That's all that's left of the board.
Anyway thanks for the reply.  :)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:48:04 am »
Looks like it was part of the extensive and extraordinarily fiddly kludge of circuits that enabled the old-school CRT to accurately shoot colors across the whole screen. Even on the most modern versions, there were literally dozens of adjustments to manipulate the three electron beams to hit only their proper (red or green or blue) phosphors on the face of the CRT.  That board had several "trimmer resistors" (marked "VR.." for Variable Resistor). and that inductor was adjustable by using a plastic hexagonal "tuning wand" to move the ferrite slug back and forth (to increase or decrease the coupling between the two windings).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf