Author Topic: What kind of prototype board is this?  (Read 4625 times)

Offline LegionTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What kind of prototype board is this?
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:32:31 am »
I can't remember what this type of board is called. I think you need some kind of special tool to remove the connections between holes, kinda like a punch. Anyone know the name of this type of board and what that tool is?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: What kind of prototype board is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:38:11 am »
perfboard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfboard

Edit: with ground plane that is
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:40:35 am by miguelvp »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:50:57 am »
Sparkfun calls it a protoboard but on the description they mention it's a perf board as well:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8815

NOt like any perfboard I used, then again I usually use stripboards for prototypes.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:02:53 am »
I can't remember what this type of board is called.
"Perfboard"

There are similar boards called: "Vector-board" (with no pads)  or "Vero-board" (with rows of pads connected together.)

I think you need some kind of special tool to remove the connections between holes,
WHAT "connections between holes"?  I don't see any connections between holes.
I see an ordinary "pad-per-hole" board with ground-plane on one side, and square pads on the reverse.

Vero-board requires a special cutter to isolate individual holes/pads. But that is not necessary for your board.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:06:06 am by Richard Crowley »

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:11:26 am »
There was a screwdriver-like tool to break the copper traces for veriboards.
You'd put the tool in a hole and turn it clockwise. That would rip a piece of the trace.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:19:17 am »
There was a screwdriver-like tool to break the copper traces for veriboards.
You'd put the tool in a hole and turn it clockwise. That would rip a piece of the trace.
Spot Face Cutter is the name I recall, and what Vero seems to call it as well (they sell a drill bit molded into a plastic handle for ~10GBP |O).

Farnell sells one from Duratool (they call it a track cutter). Business end looks more like a proper bayonet spot face cutter, has a nicer handle IMHO, and is less expensive.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 08:24:19 am »
It's that Duratool model that I was refering to.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:37:42 am »
i'm using vero-boards a lot - but not using any special tool for cutting the traces. proxxon micromot (similar to dremel) with 0.8mm diamond tip does the job quite well, and i can cut at any place - not only around the hole. i can even cut between 2 adjacent holes and have enough copper left to solder leads to both holes.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:20:48 pm »
I use a combination of a 5mm drill bit used hand held and a sharp blade, depending if i want to cut in a hole or between them.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 12:24:52 pm »
I use a combination of a 5mm drill bit used hand held and a sharp blade, depending if i want to cut in a hole or between them.

tried the drill bit - a sharp  5.5mm one - used by bare hand. actually it's faster than anything else  if a cut at the hole is needed  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 02:44:31 pm »
Veroboard and spot face tool. Thanks! I thought that's what this is since I don't see how you could solder anything onto here without it connecting to everything else. But maybe my soldering skills aren't precise enough.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 04:36:22 pm »
Veroboard and spot face tool. Thanks! I thought that's what this is

NO, That is NOT Veroboard!  The board in that photo shows single pad-per-hole perfboard.  No tool is necessary to separate the pads, because the pads are already separate!

since I don't see how you could solder anything onto here without it connecting to everything else. But maybe my soldering skills aren't precise enough.
Start practicing your soldering skills, then.  Be sure to have a nice, hot, thin tip, and fine rosin-core solder.  DO NOT attempt to use "lead-free" solder as that is challenging even for people with decades of experience.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 06:15:10 pm »
NO, That is NOT Veroboard!  The board in that photo shows single pad-per-hole perfboard.  No tool is necessary to separate the pads, because the pads are already separate!
Start practicing your soldering skills, then.  Be sure to have a nice, hot, thin tip, and fine rosin-core solder.  DO NOT attempt to use "lead-free" solder as that is challenging even for people with decades of experience.

I didn't phrase that well. What I meant was veroboard and spot face tool were the items I had in mind. Not to say that this particular board is veroboard.

As for the soldering, I don't enjoy messing around with tiny, finicky things, so I'll just toss these. I like my electronics more "Duplo" and less "Lego". If it has to be small I'd rather just have it manufactured.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf