Author Topic: What multimeter should I get ( <= 100 pounds)  (Read 5115 times)

Offline ParadoxineTopic starter

What multimeter should I get ( <= 100 pounds)
« on: August 17, 2013, 03:03:46 am »
I'll be studying electrical engineering come October  and I look and look and I've seen many review videos including Dave's one, but I have yet to come to a solid conclusion. Here are my thoughts:

Fluke 115 - Expensive, no micro amp range[3YR warranty][130 pounds]
BK Precision 2709B - Subpar accuracy, can't measure temperature(?)[3YR warranty][80 pounds]
Agilent U1232A - No milliamp range [3YR warranty][104 pounds]
Fluke 17B - [1YR warranty][70 pounds]
UNI-T UT61E - External build quality, at least, is 'meh'[1YR warranty][~40 pounds]

If anything, I'd go for the BK P 2709B if forced at this point due to it being 'cheap' (I can get a hold of it for around 80 pounds) and it having all the expected features of a meter at its price range except temperature. The subpar accuracy (at least, compared to the fluke and agilent), realistically, I could get away with, at least for the duration of my course. The second best bet might be the Fluke 17B, though, I'm not hugely impressed even though the paper specs should encourage me to be (for the price)?

Is there a meter in existence with the build quality of a Fluke 115 or Agilent U1232A (externally as well as internally), the features of a 2709b (with temperature functionality as well if possible) and the accuracy of a U1232A or better? I live in the UK by the way so shipping and handling as well as import costs may make some obscure meters impractical. I included the fluke 115 because I would theoretically be willing to pay 130 for a meter that fits all my wants and needs, but certainly no more than that. Less than 100 would be ideal.

Lastly, I considered second hand or ebay 'new' but what I absolutely cannot afford to happen is to attempt (with almost no knowledge) to adequately test a meter, miss a glaring fault and then only discover it when I use the feature, out of the return window. Additionally, If possible, I'd rather not upgrade 'when I need it' as I like to buy products that will last me a long time period of regular use.

Thanks.

Edit: Checked warranties
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:14:50 am by Paradoxine »

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What multimeter should I get ( <= 100 pounds)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 03:20:50 am »
Well I wouldn't call the BK 2709 subpar at all. It's well within the specifications, and usually is perfectly good for what you might need it for. I have it and I love it.
As for temperature, I guess you can use your finger. (Lick finger, press to component, if it hurts then you've got an overheating problem. :P)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:45:32 am »
Without a doubt, the best buy is one you don't have on your list. Brymen BM257. It is built like a tank, has all the functions you might want, good accuracy, and high safety. $135 USD shipped to your door by Franky Tong on these forums, AKA iloveelectronics.

I have one and it is one of my favourite meters. Dave did a brief overview of the Brymens here in a video, #432 I think.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:13:29 am »
You'll probably have access to your school's meters for your coursework.  While you're at school, you'll have time to form more of your own opinions on what's useful and what's not.  That doesn't mean you won't want your own general purpose meter right away, but you don't necessarily need to have every last bell and whistle.  If I were you, I'd probably go for a relatively inexpensive but safe meter now, and plan to keep it for decades but supplement it with a really nice meter upon graduation.  You'll want more than one meter anyway, for simultaneous voltage and current measurements.  As much as I like Fluke ergonomics and ruggedness, I think any of those meters would work, and I'd probably lean toward the lower price BK precision or perhaps Uni-T.  It's very rare that you need really high accuracy, and on those rare occasions when you do, at school, you'll have access to bench meters that will blow away any affordable handheld unit.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:34:56 am »
The subpar accuracy (at least, compared to the fluke and agilent), realistically, I could get away with, at least for the duration of my course.
What accuracy figures are you comparing among the three (Fluke 115/17B, Agilent U1232A and BK 2709B) that leads you to the above conclusion?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:38:56 am by retiredcaps »

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:17:58 am »
The subpar accuracy (at least, compared to the fluke and agilent), realistically, I could get away with, at least for the duration of my course.
What accuracy figures are you comparing among the three (Fluke 115/17B, Agilent U1232A and BK 2709B) that leads you to the above conclusion?

I briefly compared the BK 2709B to the U1232A IIRC. I seem to remember the fluke figures being slightly better than the 2709B too, though that was a long time ago. Perhaps I have made a mistake?

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:22:15 am »
You'll probably have access to your school's meters for your coursework.  While you're at school, you'll have time to form more of your own opinions on what's useful and what's not.  That doesn't mean you won't want your own general purpose meter right away, but you don't necessarily need to have every last bell and whistle.  If I were you, I'd probably go for a relatively inexpensive but safe meter now, and plan to keep it for decades but supplement it with a really nice meter upon graduation.  You'll want more than one meter anyway, for simultaneous voltage and current measurements.  As much as I like Fluke ergonomics and ruggedness, I think any of those meters would work, and I'd probably lean toward the lower price BK precision or perhaps Uni-T.  It's very rare that you need really high accuracy, and on those rare occasions when you do, at school, you'll have access to bench meters that will blow away any affordable handheld unit.

Something I was thinking about as well. In that case, it seems like the BK precision is the best option. I'd pick up the U1232A in an instant if it had a milli amp current range. Thanks for the help.

Offline tld

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:12:45 pm »
Since money is a factor, I'd reverse the comparison. Start looking at the UT61E. Build quality is somewhere between fine and good in my book, and it has the stuff you need (and adds PC-logging).  Only downside is temperature, which you could solve with another tool (chesp ones available).

Now, if the UT61E is the baseline, are any of the other meters better in a way, or to a degree, that makes it wort the extra cash?

And would an $80 meter be better than two UT61Es? (Two meter is quite useful for measuring current and voltage at the same time, messuring input and output at the same time, or say supply-voltage and a function, etc).

And would it be better than one UT61E, and $40 to spend on something else?

tld

Offline tld

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 08:19:05 pm »
Dont't get me wrong here by the way... If you'd been hired as an EE, and got to spend company money as long as it was reasonable, I'd be tempted to suggest getting both the Fluke and the Agilent, and add a calibrated bench meter as well.

For learnig and studying though, I'd put the focus on "stuff this piece of kit lets me do", and I'm not sure neither the Fluke, the Agilent or the BK will open any doors for you that the Uni-T won't.

Two Uni-Ts would give you some stuff a single better meter wouldn't though.

Depending on access to equipment on campus and your level of interest, I'm guessing you'll want a DSO at some point, and that'd cost a bit a well.

tld

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:31:48 pm »
The Uni-T UT61E is an good buy, so is the Digitek DT-2843R, and so is the really cheap Uni-T UT136B/C. There are probably many less expensive meters that could pass as OK meters for the bench. If you want one good meter with proper safety and tough build, then I want to re-emphasize the Brymen BM257. It is everything any of those other cheaper meters are plus better built, with better leads, real safety, good accuracy, and within your budget. If there is one flaw, it measures True RMS of the AC component only.

Offline Deadpixel732

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:55:51 am »
I have the BK Precision 2709B. It was the first "real" multimeter I ever got and I can say that I love it. The min/max feature of the meter is very useful and the display itself is very easy to read. Would definitely recommend this multimeter. 

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 03:02:56 am »
I have its big brother, the 2712, and it's really quite good. :-+ If the 2709B is anything like it, I'd easily recommend that as well.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf