Author Topic: What software do you use for case design?  (Read 11297 times)

Offline Pentium100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What software do you use for case design?
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:33 am »
Hi, I'm building a tube amp and need to design a case for it (you know, mark where to drill holes for the sockets, transformers etc). Last time I needed this (tube headphone amp), I only needed to do the top of the case, so I just marked what I needed using a PCB design program. However, this time I am going to drill at least three sides, so it would be helpful to be able to visualize it in 3D (so I do not put audio input right under the power transformer). And then I should be able to print the markings so that I can mark the holes on aluminium and then drill them.

What software (preferably free) do you use for this? It should run on Windows 7.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: What software do you use for case design?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 06:49:16 am »
hm There are a few programs out there but as far as i know not hugely functional. I think google have a software but I can't remember the name.

At work I use Solid Edge but that is costly and well I don't have many polite words for it when I'm working on it.

Offline OldNeurons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:50:54 am »
hm There are a few programs out there but as far as i know not hugely functional. I think google have a software but I can't remember the name.

I think you are referring to Sketchup (not anymore attached to Google, but it was).
http://www.sketchup.com/

I regulary use this software, and like it.

Offline B.B.Bubby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:13:48 am »
I use Turbocad for 3d and 2d, but only use the 3d stuff to prove designs before sending them off to get cut.

Unless you want to get into the high end of 3d design, just use whatever - all pretty much the same.

IMO the way 2d files are produced from the 3d renderings is far more important. Most cutting places will charge you a massive premium
for crappy 2d files, if you're not sending any files off, doesn't really matter.

So in my opinion i'd go for a autocad / turbocad level software for this sort of stuff. Just download a student edition (wink wink)
as you'll might as well learn something that has some real world manufacturing benefit (small time stuff)

I've never used any high end 3d (solid works / rhino ect) but mention files produced by these software packages to a laser cutter and you'll cop an ear full of nasty.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:31:08 am by B.B.Bubby »

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:20:06 pm »

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:56:22 pm »
Check out Fusion 360. It's free for students, hobbyists and start-ups.
http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:20:37 pm »
I have used the free, multi-platform Front Panel Designer software from http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
They even offer a fabrication service although I have my own metalworking machines, so not necessary in my case (no pun intended).

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 02:27:38 pm »
I am probably doing it the hard way, but I developed some vb code for Mach3 cnc that performs operations like cutting squares, circles, or pockets, and I just make the G code by hand.  Sometimes I use excel to calculate the values I need.

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »
I use Autodesk Inventor. It's free for students, don't know about commercial use if you need that. (They don't really check if you are actually a student)

Offline Pentium100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 02:46:27 am »
I'll try your suggestions, thanks.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 04:20:26 am »
Rhino, solidworks, Catia ( in climbing price order )
I can;t afford Solidworks so i bought Rhino 3D
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 04:37:03 am »
Pen and Paper 2.0 (version notes: replaced low-contrast pencil; graph paper added for dimensional stability).

I don't personally, but when possible (commercially), SolidWorks is great, and can work with most EDA/CAD tools.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 08:18:43 am »
I haven't tried it, but if I had the need I would look at http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/front_panel_designer/the_idea/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline pohand

• paper shredder reviews
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 09:05:51 am »
You could try Visio in Microsoft Office.
good walls make good neighbours

Offline charlespax

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Instruments
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 03:40:20 am »
I do all my work in SolidWorks. It's what I used to design the enclosure for the T400 four-channel temperature datalogger. You can find the enclosure source files on Github. This enclosure is designed for injection molding, but would work well for 3D printing.

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 07:14:23 am »

Seems like an interesting piece of software, but where do I find the free version for hobbyists? All I found was links to the academic version which currently would not apply to me.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 07:30:46 am »
Solidworks for almost anything 3D and SpaceClaim for anything sheetmetal

SpaceClaim is kind of amazing:

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 12:12:34 pm »
I just found DRAFTSIGHT a few days ago.  It looks promising and has a free version but I haven't had a chance to try it.  I have used AutoCAD back in the DOS days and prefer it.  But it costs far too much for hobby use.  I bought TurboCAD and it's okay but terrible hard to learn and print drawings at full scale to use as templates.

Offline charlespax

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Instruments
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »
There is also the slightly primitive tinkercad. It's free and online.

Offline FrankT

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 04:47:33 am »
I use Alibre Design, now called Geomagic Design.  It's ok, but a bit buggy (and not free).

I always create 3D objects of my boards, enclosures, and parts to get the fit right (75% right the first time and improving :).

There is a new free online CAD software, https://www.onshape.com, which is pretty good (although it came up on page 7 when I googled "Free online cad").  It looks very similar to most parametric cad programs.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:32 pm »

Seems like an interesting piece of software, but where do I find the free version for hobbyists? All I found was links to the academic version which currently would not apply to me.

Just install it and fill the correct licence. I used the "Sign up as a Start-Up or Enthusiast (Free)" option.
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-activate-start-up-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRoku6nAZKXonjHpfsX67%2BguX6S2lMI%2F0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4DSsJhI%2BSLDwEYGJlv6SgFS7bFMaJv07gJWBI%3D

The tutorials and Youtube videos help with the learning curve.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 11:56:45 pm »
F.Y.I.   The DRAFTSIGHT program I mentioned claims to be able to read/write the AutoCAD .dwg files.  The free version doesn't have a trial period either.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 12:31:43 am »
I personally use Rhino. It's not great for actual assemblies, but it's very easy to build the solid models for various parts.  Since it doesn't have constraints, when it comes time to assemble things, you need to put on your big boy pants and start doing things like changing the construction plane to appropriate surfaces, and really learning how to use some of the more advanced features.  But if you can do that, it's not a bad program for this kind of thing.

I keep looking for something else...haven't found it yet.  Rhino is best overall for me right now.  That will change when I need to start doing sheet metal.  I tried Geomagic (formerly Alibre).  Honestly, I wasn't particularly impressed. I want something where I can model my parts (or parts of parts) in Rhino, and then suck them into a parametric modeller with constraints to actually assemble the parts into something that I can work with.

I'm really spoiled with Rhino's interface.  Everyone should follow their example of what a clean, powerful interface is like.  I'm terrified that they will completely screw it up in the next version in order to comply with Microsoft's garbage UI initiatives.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 05:20:25 pm »
I have not made the jump to 3d cad tools.  a friend is a wiz at solidworks but its intimidating to new users.

I mostly use laser cutters and those are 2d tools.  I can get most of what I want done in 2d by using layers or building 'tab boxes' (http://boxmaker.connectionlab.org/).

for the tool, I use corel draw since its the tool that my hackerspace (techshop) uses to drive the lasers.  its easy to use, its not buggy and it does quite a lot.  its also not overly expensive.

on the linux side, I'd use inkscape.  its free and very capable as well, with quite a few nice plugins (including a box maker, as well).  inkscape runs fine on windows, too!

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 05:25:33 pm »
I like OpenScad, but I'll admit that really could be a love it or hate it kind of way to do the job.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf