Author Topic: What the heck is happening to my computer?????  (Read 3528 times)

Offline skillz21Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What the heck is happening to my computer?????
« on: July 07, 2017, 03:33:46 am »
Today I noticed something really weird with my computer. When I hold a pair of scissors in between the HDMI and USB 3.0 port on my Acer r3 laptop, the computer immediately sleeps. I thought the electronics community would know the answer better so I decided to post it on this forum. The pair of scissors that I need to use is nothing special, its made of stainless steel. I tried to do the same thing with a variety of metal objects, magnetised and non-magnetised, but I can't get the computer to sleep....
The effect is immediate, the computer screen immediately shuts off and the hard drive stops spinning. the power LED starts flashing orange, for sleep mode. I need to move the mouse to get it to wake up.... so what is happening??? I am absolutely flabbergasted, I found the scissors next to my computer I accidentally nudged it, and my computer went to sleep.... no idea why. Please help, I need to know what's going on.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What the heck is happening to my computer?????
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 03:40:57 am »
Also, is it bad for my computer? I mean it's perfect for when your parents walk into the room when you're watching EEVBlog and are supposed to be doing your homework...  ;) ;)

Offline Karlo_Moharic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:57:48 am »
There is firmware (possibly hardware) bug on your laptop , nothing serious just don't stick scissors into your computer

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:17:31 am »
I'm not sure why it's not doing it with other objects but laptops usually have some sort of sensor to detect when the screen is down, maybe you've just found the location of it.

I doubt it's a fault or bug,.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:27:26 am »
I just don't understand why it doesn't work with other metal objects...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 09:29:18 am »
When I hold a pair of scissors in between the HDMI and USB 3.0 port on my Acer r3 laptop, the computer immediately sleeps.
:-DD Thankfully you explain later on in your post this was an accident I was already scratching my head.

The pair of scissors that I need to use is nothing special, its made of stainless steel. I tried to do the same thing with a variety of metal objects, magnetised and non-magnetised, but I can't get the computer to sleep.... 
Well that debunks my only guess, that the scissors are magnetic and trip the magnetic sensor of the laptop lid so the laptop thinks the user closed the lid and goes to sleep.
So you can check this by going to the power settings, disable the laptop going to sleep on closing the lid and retry with your scissors.

In any case you need to find out what the laptop software think is happening.
There are many options to go to sleep from which power button, laptop lid, low battery etc.
So you first need to find out which of these is the case, which means disabling all sleep modes in the power settings except one and retry.

Also, is it bad for my computer? I mean it's perfect for when your parents walk into the room when you're watching EEVBlog and are supposed to be doing your homework...  ;) ;)
It is probably not in the manual so not a perferred way of doing it  :-DD
Seriously, I would not recommend doing it esp. for the case you describe, the chance is likely that due to the parents catch stress you might insert the scissors inside the USB connector and short out the 5V or physically damage it. For your parents you need BOSS software from the 80s and keyboard combination that immediately displays some important piece of homework on your screen, I would suggest a paint programm or picture for it where just alt-tab is enough for you to show that. But don't tell your parents and do your homework and make sure you pass your exams.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:30:53 am »
I'm not actually sticking the scissors in the laptop, I just hover over the spot with the scissors and it immediately sleeps...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:44 am »
For your parents you need BOSS software from the 80s and keyboard combination that immediately displays some important piece of homework on your screen, I would suggest a paint programm or picture for it where just alt-tab is enough for you to show that. But don't tell your parents and do your homework and make sure you pass your exams.

Lol okay  :-DD
(BTW... I was joking earlier.... ok?)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 09:37:55 am »
Sure  ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 09:39:52 am »
So I went and changed "what happens when I close the lid" in control panel and did the scissor thing. the screen shuts off and when I take the scissors away, it turns on again, which is exactly what happens when I close the lid..... so it must be the trigger for the lid closing.... but why the scissors and not some other piece of metal?? ??? ???

Edit: I went I tried it some more with some Stainless steel knives (definitely got some funny looks there), still no luck......

Edit 2: I looked and found a magnet where the sensor corresponds with the lid.... so it is triggered by a magnet, but why can I get it to work with a non-magnetic metal scissor and not work with a proper magnet?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:50:21 am by skillz21 »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 09:50:08 am »
I'd try and work out which bit of the lid is closest to that spot when closed and then see if it attracts a non magnetised screwdriver or something like a small steel screw.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 09:51:12 am »
Try a decent magnet not too close but swirl it over the same place.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 09:51:33 am »
I'd try and work out which bit of the lid is closest to that spot when closed and then see if it attracts a non magnetised screwdriver or something like a small steel screw.

Yeah there is a magnet there, it attracts the scissors and other metal objects.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 09:55:37 am »
I'm an idiot..... apparently, the magnet I used at the start wasn't strong enough  |O. It works with a stronger one...  |O. But the scissor is not magnetic, I'm sure of that... how did that work?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 09:59:13 am »
It might be very weakly magnetic , try to file of some ironpowder from an iron nail or screw or get some from the chemics lab at highschool for an experiment and see if it sticks to the scissor.
If not it might be a hal sensor could be sensitive to a field, does the scissor has isolated handles, just hold it by those handles and retry, also retry holding it on the iron it self.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 10:01:04 am »
I'm an idiot.....
No you are not and you proven that by questioning your experience and turning it into a science experiment with hypothesis. ;)
And retrying when other experiments fail.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:02 am »
It might be very weakly magnetic , try to file of some ironpowder from an iron nail or screw or get some from the chemics lab at highschool for an experiment and see if it sticks to the scissor.
If not it might be a hal sensor could be sensitive to a field, does the scissor has isolated handles, just hold it by those handles and retry, also retry holding it on the iron it self.
I have some screwdrivers, and some of them are magnetic...... but they do not trigger it. The scissors are very slightly magnetic, I do not have iron fillings but the scissors lifted up a few medium sized screws. I held it from the iron and from the handle, it triggered. So I think the slight magnetism is triggering sleep mode.

Also....
I'm an idiot.....
No you are not and you proven that by questioning your experience and turning it into a science experiment with hypothesis. ;)
And retrying when other experiments fail.

Thanks!

Offline t_ryner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 02:40:14 pm »
I also suggest you look up the model and look at the schematic for the laptop to confirm your hypothesis. Or use a small magnet and go near the corresponding edge of the screen. There's usually a magnet in laptop screens so it turns off when closed. I have encountered a problem similar to yours due to wearing a magnetic bracelet. The bracelet shuts off the screen for a while, but will return eventually.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf