Author Topic: What will happen if I choose a 20W tip for a 60W solder iron?  (Read 2304 times)

Offline rozehTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What will happen if I choose a 20W tip for a 60W solder iron?
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »
Hi everybody
I have a question for choosing a tip for solder iron.
What will happen if I choose this tip:
SMD goot 20W tip
 for this solder iron?:
BEST-813(60W)
In your opinion, Is it a suitable choice?
Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: What will happen if I choose a 20W tip for a 60W solder iron?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:31:11 pm »
From the pictures it's not clear whether that SMD tip is even physically compatible with the soldering iron, but it doesn't look promising.

More importantly, a cheap 60W uncontrolled iron is not a suitable choice for electronics - it is likely to damage a lot of components. You need a temperature controlled soldering station for any serious work, SMD or otherwise. Dave has lots of useful advice on the subject in various blogs.

Offline rozehTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:22:15 pm »
I agree with you, rolycat. especially I think the many of these solder iron have problem. for example, they have electricity to its tips.
Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline Robgo

• !
    • http://www.hotairreworkstation.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:49:02 am »
Most new soldering irons nowadays are temperature regulated and ESD safe, you can consider  Weller or ATTEN soldering tools.

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:41:12 am »
Well my bet would be that you might ruin tips coating. after all 60 Watts is just 3x more then rated 20 Watts. And then theres matter of tips thermal mass. Because it has lower thermal mass is not designed to hande 60 Watts, temperature swings can be unexpectedly large. Heaters energy goes somewhere no matter what..

Personally i would not recommend trying that just so save few bucks. Proper tip lasts long time with little bit care. Especially on hobbyist use.
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf