Author Topic: What you think about Owon PDS7062T?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline PawelWTopic starter

• VW Bulli
What you think about Owon PDS7062T?
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:04:13 pm »
What you think about Owon PDS7062T?
Price in Poland is the same as famous Rigol 1052E but Owon has bigger display 8" 640x480 (Rigol 5.7" )but also has only 500MS/s (Rigol 1000MS/s 1ch 500MS/s 1+2ch) and smaller sample memory 6000 samples per chanel (Rigol 1M samples)
What is more important bigger screen or parameters?

There is also PDS7102T 100MHz that is little bit expensive but still in my range, maybe this is a better choose?

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What you think about Owon PDS7062T?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:26 pm »
I've been eyeballing the Owon scopes as well, but I don't have much to report yet.

One important detail: the models that are one step cheaper use a passive matrix STN screen as opposed to an active matrix TFT screen. The STNs have a tendency to blur and ghost horribly during fast movement. Here's the wikipedia bit on active and passive matrix LCDs. I suppose a case can be made either way as to whether this will effect scope performance. If you're considering a model with a passive matrix screen, be sure to see it in action so you know what to expect.

I mainly include this for anyone else that might stumble by this thread. Given the model you are asking about, it seems you know this already. :)

As for the specs, it really depends on what you intend to use the scope for. The high sample rate and sample memory will be very useful for tracking down problems with digital circuits and imaging square wave rise/fall times accurately. If you do a lot of digital work, you will probably find it worth picking up the Rigol. I don't speak from experience on this though, I'm just relaying what I've read. Could someone back me up on this?

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:11:16 am »
U can get Rigol for about 1500z? (incl import tax and VAT) for about 1500z? (i just got mine, im from Poland too) from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30573 and its bloody worth it ;] Tho big LCD is tempting but then Rigol is much cheaper.

edit. And 1M sample memory is very, very useful, esp for digital circuits. Some ppl here modified analog frontend to get >100MHz bandwidth on 50MHz model too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:12:51 am by xani »

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:15:59 am »
Haha, it's not "some people," right now I think I'm the only one who has modified the 50 MHz scope (no one else has posted about it, anyhow), the other was a 100 MHz model already.  Wait another week or less and check the thread in the General forum, I'll have a definitive test made by then.  I botched my results last weekend..

Basically what you're asking is high performance vs. big screen.

Well do you like a fast car, or a pretty car?

I'm not bothered in the least by the screen size, nor its resolution.
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline APS

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:14:27 am »
I heard that PDS is made of cheap plastic. I dont think the big screen is critical. Remember you are buying oscilloscope not car entertainment system. Big screen is great but....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf